Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic oscillator phase space integral

1. Jul 2, 2010 #1
    Hi all,

I am having trouble with a certain integral, which I got from Quantum Physics by Le Bellac:
    [tex]\int dxdp\;\delta\left( E - \frac{p^2}{2m} - \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2x^2 \right) f(E) [/tex]
    The answer to this integral should be [tex] 2\pi / \omega\; f(E) [/tex].

My attempts so far:
    This integral is basically a line integral around the perimeter of the (in general) ellipse traced out in phase space. Therefore I tried parameterizing the ellipse using x = acos(t) and p = bsin(t). From here, I've tried two different things:
    1) Even though the original integral is 2D, I rewrite both dx and dy to dt, and then finally arrive at (since now the argument of the dirac delta is always equal to 0, along the curve):
    [tex] -ab \int_0^{2\pi} sin(t)cos(t)dt = 0 [/tex]
    2) Rewrite using the arc length segment
    [tex] ds = \sqrt{ x'^2 + p'^2 } dt [/tex]
    this results in a complicated integral, which I am unable to solve. Also, by trying to simply use approximations for the perimeter of an ellipse turns out in other answers :(.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's a property of the Dirac Delta distribution that is worth remembering, and I think will help you greatly with this integral:

[tex]\delta(f(x))=\sum_i \frac{\delta(x-x_i)}{|f'(x_i)|}[/tex]

Where [itex]f(x)[/itex] is any continuously differentiable function, with roots (assumed to be simple) [itex]x_i[/itex].

4. Jul 3, 2010 #3
    Thanks a lot gabbagabbahey! I have solved the problem :)!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook