1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonics of a closed-closed tube

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    I don't understand how to get n... if that doesn't make sense i can explain more... I have the length and velocity... from there i just don't understand what n even is or means...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

n is the mode or the multiple of the fundamental frequency. If you want the third harmonic, n=3.

4. Nov 19, 2009 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It should really be referred to as the second (U)overtone(/U) for a physical resonator because the frequencies of overtones may not be exactly harmonically related. Look at the spec of Quartz crystals for use in oscillators and you'll see what I mean; It's all to do with 'end effect' and effective length of the oscillating object, in wavelengths. Having said this, for a closed-closed tube, the end effect will be v. small.

The fundamental frequency will be the frequency at which there is a half wavelength between the two ends - allowing a node at each end*. The first overtone will be when there is a node in the centre (i.e. at near twice the frequency) and the second will be when there are two nodes - asoasf.

* fundamental f =c/2x
    where c is the speed of sound in the tube and x is the effective length

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook