• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Has anyone ever mentioned Physics Forums on a personal statement?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date

Simfish

Gold Member
Yes, I know it's a *silly* idea. But I'm just curious ;)

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What do you mean by "personal statement"? I have given my involvement here, as well as other mathematics websites, as part of an appeal for an increase in pay. I also included my work maintaining trails in the local mountains. The president of my university was a trail runner and I claimed I was keeping him safe!

I got the raise though I have no idea whether those helped or not.

atyy

Science Advisor
Thank you for keeping the trails safe!

I mentioned how I like to watch the experts in the field (whether that's professors, grad students, w/e) go at it on certain topics (astrophysics, cosmology, beyond the standard model, QM, etc.) on forums on the internet. I never mentioned PF specifically though. But I can't remember if that was a personal statement for an internship or if I wrote that somewhere else ...

Be careful, you'd be surprised how many older people don't know what an internet forum is. They won't have any idea what you're talking about.