Has anyone ever mentioned Physics Forums on a personal statement?

In summary, the individual mentioned their involvement in mathematics websites and maintaining trails in an appeal for a pay increase. They also noted their interest in watching experts discuss various topics on online forums. However, they advised caution when mentioning internet forums to older individuals who may not be familiar with them.
Simfish
Gold Member
Yes, I know it's a *silly* idea. But I'm just curious ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "personal statement"? I have given my involvement here, as well as other mathematics websites, as part of an appeal for an increase in pay. I also included my work maintaining trails in the local mountains. The president of my university was a trail runner and I claimed I was keeping him safe!

I got the raise though I have no idea whether those helped or not.

Thank you for keeping the trails safe!

I mentioned how I like to watch the experts in the field (whether that's professors, grad students, w/e) go at it on certain topics (astrophysics, cosmology, beyond the standard model, QM, etc.) on forums on the internet. I never mentioned PF specifically though. But I can't remember if that was a personal statement for an internship or if I wrote that somewhere else ...

Be careful, you'd be surprised how many older people don't know what an internet forum is. They won't have any idea what you're talking about.

1. What is Physics Forums?

Physics Forums is an online community and discussion forum for individuals interested in physics and related fields. It offers a platform for members to ask and answer questions, share knowledge and ideas, and engage in discussions about various topics in physics.

2. How can mentioning Physics Forums on a personal statement be beneficial?

Mentioning Physics Forums on a personal statement can demonstrate your passion and dedication towards physics and your involvement in the scientific community. It can also showcase your critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as your ability to collaborate and communicate with others.

3. Is it appropriate to mention Physics Forums on a personal statement?

Yes, it is appropriate to mention Physics Forums on a personal statement, especially if it has played a significant role in your academic or professional development. However, make sure to avoid simply listing it as an extracurricular activity and instead focus on specific experiences or skills you have gained from participating in the forum.

4. Can mentioning Physics Forums on a personal statement make me stand out to admissions committees?

Yes, mentioning Physics Forums on a personal statement can make you stand out to admissions committees, as it showcases your active engagement in the field of physics and your commitment to furthering your knowledge and understanding of the subject. However, it should not be the only aspect of your application that highlights your qualifications and interests.

5. Should I mention my username on Physics Forums in my personal statement?

It is not necessary to mention your username on Physics Forums in your personal statement. Instead, focus on discussing your contributions and experiences on the forum and how they have shaped your interest in physics and your future goals. However, if your username is relevant to your personal statement, you can mention it briefly.