Has General relativity been proven wrong ?

In summary, the concept of space-time is still a fundamental concept in modern physics. However, it seems that your physics teacher may not fully understand or believe in the relationship between gravity and space-time. A good resource for further understanding of this topic is the book "Was Einstein Right?" by Clifford Will.
jamesfirst
I'd like to know whether the concept of space-time still exists today

My physics teacher doesn't like to believe gravity in relation to space-time

Physics news on Phys.org
General has not been falsified by any observations.

A good nontechnical book on this topic is Was Einstein Right? by Clifford Will.

jamesfirst said:

Is he/she a theoretical physicist working on quantum gravity, or a high school teacher still suckling on Newton's teat?

jamesfirst said:
I'd like to know whether the concept of space-time still exists today

Yes, and the concept permeates modern Physics.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your teacher is not very knowledgeable.

jamesfirst said:
What do you mean by this?
Does not believe that gravity is a distortion of spacetime?
Does not believe that gravity is a force distinct from spacetime?

Both those could be implied by your statement, yet one is true and one is false. Either your teacher knows what he's talking about and is telling you so, or possibly he does not know what he's talking about and is telling you so.

The net effect is that I do not know what you teacher is talking about, and am telling you so.

1. Is General Relativity the most accurate theory of gravity?

No, General Relativity is not the most accurate theory of gravity. While it has been extremely successful in explaining the behavior of large-scale objects, such as planets and galaxies, it breaks down at the quantum level. This means that it cannot fully explain phenomena such as black holes or the behavior of particles at the smallest scales.

2. Can General Relativity be disproven?

Technically, any scientific theory can be disproven with enough evidence. However, General Relativity has been extensively tested and has consistently been shown to accurately describe the behavior of the universe. It would take a significant amount of new evidence to disprove it.

3. How has General Relativity been tested and confirmed?

General Relativity has been tested and confirmed through a variety of experiments and observations. These include the bending of light by massive objects, the precession of Mercury's orbit, and the detection of gravitational waves. These and other experiments have consistently shown that General Relativity accurately predicts the behavior of gravity.

4. Are there any alternatives to General Relativity?

Yes, there are several alternative theories of gravity that have been proposed. These include Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND) and Einstein-Cartan theory. However, these alternatives have not yet been able to fully explain all of the phenomena that General Relativity can, and they have not been widely accepted by the scientific community.

5. Does General Relativity apply to the entire universe?

General Relativity applies to the entire observable universe. However, it is not yet known if it applies to the entire universe, including regions that are beyond our observable horizon. This is an area of ongoing research and debate in the field of physics.