Hasn't Gravitational Lensing Already Proved Einstein? (LIGO)

In summary, the LIGO research has been hailed as an important experimental verification of general relativity. While other types of evidence have been previously observed, this is the first time that gravitational waves have been directly detected, and it is hoped that this will lead to a new type of astronomy.
dlivingston
The news out of LIGO is being heralded as one of the most important experimental verifications of physics in decades, as it provides experimental support to the General Theory.

The news makes it seem as though it were like the Higgs Boson was; theoretically concrete, but up in the air until this research confirmed it.

But hasn't the well known gravitational lensing effect already provided nearly as strong experimental evidence?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right. We have much experimental evidence in favour of general relativity, and the binary pulsar observations of Taylor and Hulse showed that gravitational waves exist.

LIGOs achievement is
1) technological, allowing an amazing direct detection of a gravitational wave;
2) hopefully will allow a new type of astronomy, just like radiowaves and x-rays allow us to see more of what is out there than visible light allows.

Likes dlivingston and bcrowell
dlivingston said:
But hasn't the well known gravitational lensing effect already provided nearly as strong experimental evidence?

Sure, as has the observations on the Hulse–Taylor binary pulsar along with plenty of other tests. However this is akin to detecting the oscillation of a radio signal for the first time ever. It's a very, very strong piece of evidence in favor of general relativity, and it potentially puts great constraints on any present or future competing theories.

Likes vanhees71, dlivingston and bcrowell
In addition to the points that others have made above, the waveform that was observed agrees well with GR-based calculations for the merger of black holes. That is a unique test of general relativity in the regime of very strong gravitational fields.

Likes vanhees71, dlivingston and atyy
bcrowell said:
That is a unique test of general relativity in the regime of very strong gravitational fields.

Do they get any stronger than that?!

Drakkith said:
Do they get any stronger than that?!

I do still want to see the gravitational wave signal from two supermassive black holes colliding :-)

Likes vanhees71 and Drakkith
Are you sure it's more energetic? The masses are larger, but they are moving slower and are farther away from each other. Does the gravitational radiation power increase monotonically with mass? There's also this issue that the wavelength will be much longer - ten million miles.

Oohh, great insights folks. I've learned something and am 200 feet deep in a Wikipedia rabbit hole that started with the Hulse–Taylor binary pulsar. Appreciate it. :)

bcrowell said:
I do still want to see the gravitational wave signal from two supermassive black holes colliding :-)

As a nuclear physicist I'd be even more eager to see (transient) gravitational waves from neutron-star mergers, because this could help to restrict the equation of state of nuclear (neutron-rich) matter.

Black holes are quite boring due to the no-hair theorem: It's just some object with a mass, a spin, and an electric charge. This brings up another question, I always ask myself, when I listen to talks about black holes (including Sagittarius in our own galaxy): The only argument we have that these very massive objects are truly black holes is that they have very large masses, ruling out any so far thinkable kind of matter composition (like e.g., neutron or quark stars), but maybe they could be just "stars" of a today unknown kind of matter. So is it possible with a very accurate observation of gravitational waves to falsify the assumption that these objects are just black holes or can one perhaps learn something about possible yet unknown forms of matter?

vanhees71 said:
So is it possible with a very accurate observation of gravitational waves to falsify the assumption that these objects are just black holes or can one perhaps learn something about possible yet unknown forms of matter?

A good question. I'd also like to find a new kind of matter that can withstand the force of 4 million solar masses compressed into an area of space less than 50 million km across.

vanhees71 said:
As a nuclear physicist I'd be even more eager to see (transient) gravitational waves from neutron-star mergers, because this could help to restrict the equation of state of nuclear (neutron-rich) matter.

Black holes are quite boring due to the no-hair theorem: It's just some object with a mass, a spin, and an electric charge. This brings up another question, I always ask myself, when I listen to talks about black holes (including Sagittarius in our own galaxy): The only argument we have that these very massive objects are truly black holes is that they have very large masses, ruling out any so far thinkable kind of matter composition (like e.g., neutron or quark stars), but maybe they could be just "stars" of a today unknown kind of matter. So is it possible with a very accurate observation of gravitational waves to falsify the assumption that these objects are just black holes or can one perhaps learn something about possible yet unknown forms of matter?
There are a growing set of observations to the effect that BH candidates have no surface, consistent horizon rather than exotic body.

1. What is gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon in which light from a distant object is bent by the gravitational pull of a massive object, such as a galaxy or a black hole, as it travels towards the observer.

2. How does gravitational lensing prove Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Gravitational lensing is one of the key pieces of evidence supporting Einstein's theory of general relativity. It demonstrates the concept of spacetime curvature, as massive objects bend the fabric of space and time, causing light to follow a curved path.

3. How is LIGO connected to gravitational lensing?

LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory) is a collaboration of scientists and institutions that have detected gravitational waves, which are ripples in spacetime caused by the collision of massive objects. These waves can also be observed through gravitational lensing, providing further confirmation of Einstein's theory.

4. Has gravitational lensing definitively proven Einstein's theory?

While gravitational lensing is a strong piece of evidence supporting Einstein's theory, it is not the only factor. Other observations, such as the precession of Mercury's orbit and the deflection of starlight near the sun, also provide support for general relativity.

5. Can gravitational lensing be used to study other aspects of the universe?

Yes, gravitational lensing is a valuable tool for studying the universe and has been used to observe distant objects, dark matter, and even the expansion of the universe. It also allows scientists to study objects that would otherwise be too faint or small to detect.