Have a problem? read this first

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, congratulations to Greg Bernhardt on the launch of his new forum. There are a few issues that need to be addressed but overall it is a success.
Searching has gone for a toss .

Apart from the few things mentioned above ,if you go to the profile of a member and click on -Find all threads by X , you get no results .

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how to update information on my profile, there used to be the pencil next to Country, educational background, etc. How can we do it now?

Maylis said:
I don't see how to update information on my profile, there used to be the pencil next to Country, educational background, etc. How can we do it now?
They are input boxes. Just type and then click save at the bottom.

Evo said:
Can't you un-check the year to not show it?
Yes, I have that unchecked. However, it still shows on the page that I can see as 2001. It won't let me remove or edit that.

Edit: It's been fixed. Thanks, Borek. :)

Last edited:
@Greg Bernhardt. Another thing that I've noticed. If you are on a page where you have scrolled down and reload the page (or F5), the header bar with MY PF, Inbox, Alerts, etc. will disappear until you scroll the page. This does not occur if the page has a post # in the URL or if you use Ctrl-F5 to refresh. For example, clicking on #74 in my previous post keeps the header if you refresh the page. But, if you take off the "#post-4858444" part, go to the page, scroll down a bit and reload, it disappears. Looks like some URLs know how to properly display a refresh but others don't. I'm on Firefox 23.0.1 when I see this. Not a big deal - just adding info.

Is it me or are all my threads gone? :eek:

Rectifier said:
Is it me or are all my threads gone?

Nothing was lost - they are all in the database. Locating them is a problem ATM.

Likes Rectifier
Greg, I've never done one of these total forum upgrades but I'm a mod on a woodworking forum and I heard a lot about what a huge job it is so I congratulate you on a terrific job. I HATE change and this changeover has gone exceptionally smoothly, I think, and the result is really good.

I DO have to point out however (yeah, you knew there was another shoe, huh?) that when I first opened the new one, I was delighted to find that the really obnoxious "wouldn't-go-away by itself" popup was no longer there. HURRAY ! Then I realized that you had added something that was, and I found this hard to believe, even MORE obnoxious. It NEVER goes away and as if that were not enough, it annoyingly fades in and out. I'm talking about the up/down arrow blue box in the lower right corner that fades then comes back and you scroll and then just sits there covering up one or two posts worth of "# of views/# of replies", AND gets in the way as you type in a response, as it is doing right now in this very thread.

Could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of that damned thing? Scroll bars are NOT that hard to use.

See what I mean:

Capture.JPG

phinds said:
Could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of that damned thing? Scroll bars are NOT that hard to use.

I think this is something that's suppose to be an alternative to the old "Wormhole to the top". It's weird that it's getting in the way of typing in your PC..

A solution would be to place it in the middle of the screen? I mean, vertically centralized... Not sure it looks good though.

DataGG said:
I think this is something that's suppose to be an alternative to the old "Wormhole to the top". It's weird that it's getting in the way of typing in your PC..

A solution would be to place it in the middle of the screen? I mean, vertically centralized... Not sure it looks good though.

Well, the thing is, one of the promises of the new software was that it adjusts to your screen size settings. But it DOESN'T in this case. If I make the screen layout so small I can't read the print, then it migrates over out of the way but it should ALWAYS be out of the way according to the self-adjusting feature that Greg advertised when discussing what the new features would be, and it isn't.

Moan, whine, complain, gripe, and some words not suitable for the forum rules ... :rolleyes:

@phinds : I see what you're talking about, although the blue scrollbox never covers up any info on the browser displays I've examined. The closest it comes to that is being directly centered over the right edge of the page - usually on top of a rectangle frame.

@Greg Bernhardt : Whether you keep the scrollbox for good reason or consider other options - the classic desktop page displays do not enforce a minimum width. I can shrink the width of my browser window and the pages attempt to squeeze. No worries, Greg. Just suggesting that a minimum width should be expected on desktop browsers in case this helps your challenge of "fitting 20 lbs into a 5lb bag". ;)

phinds said:
Moan, whine, complain, gripe, and some words not suitable for the forum rules ... :rolleyes:

Paul... Take a deep breath. I've seen you post in the Computing area, and know you can appreciate the challenges of keeping current in the software industry.

My $.02: It's easy to be an armchair quarterback. The changes you're describing now, just 24 hours after a major conversion, are probably the type of details that Greg has 100% intentions of following through and improving. And yet, from my experience, these items are 'buried' in CSS classes, Styles, and java scripts. It's like brain surgery, seeing what you want to change in the generated pages, and wanting to find the unique, correct place to "do it the right way" without breaking anything else.

On my end, I've been gathering items into a text file with possible problems and changes for Greg, because I know he's a trouper, and I expect he's feeling slammed right now, trying to do everything he can get to (and then some).

Let's give Greg and the "home team" a BIG CHEER from our seats on the sidelines!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
TumblingDice said:
Paul... Take a deep breath.

Uh ... I'm not sure which of us needs a deep breath ... did you not get any humor in the manner in which I made that statement? Did you not notice the emoticon at the end or did you think I had directed it at Greg and not myself? Did you not notice that I started off by saying that I AM aware of how much work it is and what a good job he's done?

At any rate, Greg knows I love to jerk and moan and he would expect no less of me :D

Likes Greg Bernhardt
phinds said:
Uh ... I'm not sure which of us needs a deep breath ... did you not get any humor in the manner in which I made that statement?

My bad for paying more attention to your CAPS, rather than the eloquent intro you included.

As a software author, I can be sensitive to users who offer a bit of honey before they tell me why they're disappointed with things they feel are not as good as they expect. :oops:

What I was trying to convey, not just to you but to everyone, is that the little things will take time. Posting the little problems right now while Greg is battling the big relocation is a bit out of step for an IT professional. I look to Greg as our thoroughbred "race horse". Speaking only for myself, thoroughbreds do their best winning one race at a time. That requires focus. I chose to post to you because I thought you'd be on the same page. From your post, I'm not sure about that, but still optimistically hoping we'll find agreement. Thank you for the reply - it's all about teamwork!

TumblingDice said:
My bad for paying more attention to your CAPS, rather than the eloquent intro you included.

As a software author, I can be sensitive to users who offer a bit of honey before they tell me why they're disappointed with things they feel are not as good as they expect. :oops:

What I was trying to convey, not just to you but to everyone, is that the little things will take time. Posting the little problems right now while Greg is battling the big relocation is a bit out of step for an IT professional. I look to Greg as our thoroughbred "race horse". Speaking only for myself, thoroughbreds do their best winning one race at a time. That requires focus. I chose to post to you because I thought you'd be on the same page. From your post, I'm not sure about that, but still optimistically hoping we'll find agreement. Thank you for the reply - it's all about teamwork!

Oh, I agree w/ you completely. My pissing and moaning are not mean to be taken too seriously (which is why I attempted to put it humorously) and I suspect Greg knows that from some of my previous whines. After all, at one point I called him a poisonous tree frog but the context was clear that there was no way I could have meant that seriously. As I said in one of my posts, I'm very aware of how time consuming / tedious / painful and just generally not fun it is to do ANY major software configuration and how long it takes to iron out the bugs. I manage software development teams so I have first hand knowledge of it in general, just not forum software in particular, and I was quite sincere in my starting-out praise. I've managed projects where it took MONTHS to do major software conversions/configurations. It's never fun.

Also, I really AM very impressed with how good the new forum is and what a great job Greg has done. The woodworking forum where I'm a mod underwent a similar total revamp to new software several months ago and I consider the new look and feel to be a disaster so I was really holding my breath on this one since I spend a lot more time here than there.

Kudos to Greg !

Greg, I have a problem. I am worried that you are going to kill yourself with overwork. GO TO BED !

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Has anyone noticed that pages that have LaTeX formulas that extend horizontally past the current width of the browser window don't seem to have any scrollbars or way of scrolling horizontally without resizing the window (at least they don't for me using FF)?

ostrich2 said:
extend horizontally past the current width of the browser window
Can you post a screen shot and link me to the thread which has an example?

ostrich2 said:
This thread has an example in the 2nd post, I'm using FF 24.8.0
Not sure what canbe done about that. It needs to be broken up some how. Responsive sizing would be neat though.

phinds said:
Greg, ...
the up/down arrow blue box...

Could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of that damned thing?

Hooray! It's gone. :)

Now for the "hover over" pull-down menus. :oops:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Where?
It's not that big a deal. Your sleep is probably much more important. It's when you run your mouse across the menu items they drop down but don't go away (see attached). It's still there while making this reply (header bar doesn't refresh on reply?).

Edit: Oh. I see it's been addressed. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/slower-hover-overs.772173/

Attachments

• menuhover.jpg
    menuhover.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 393
Firefox 28.0

BTW they go away by clicking on the item.

dlgoff said:
Firefox 28.0

First, upgrade to FF 32 and then clear your cache

dlgoff said:
Ah now I see, the functionality is that you must click off the menu for it to close. This is to prevent flickering and accidental closing.

Greg Bernhardt said:
First, upgrade to FF 32

Not a chance. :D

Ah now I see, the functionality is that you must click off the menu for it to close. This is to prevent flickering and accidental closing.

Got it. Thanks.

dlgoff said:
Hooray! It's gone. :)

HOORAY indeed !

I take back several of those bad things I said about Greg :p

Greg ... GO TO BED !

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I still have the problem with the list of my posts...mmm...contents and threads.
It seems that when I click "Find all content by shayan" the forum shows my today posts(I don't see my yesterday posts)+all posts before a random date in 2013!
And I still see "No results found" when I want to see my threads.

Shyan said:
I still have the problem with the list of my posts...mmm...contents and threads.
It seems that when I click "Find all content by shayan" the forum shows my today posts+all posts before a random date in 2013!
And I still see "No results found" when I want to see my threads.

Yes, it is still not fixed and we are aware of that. Sorry about that, but there are plenty of things to do. For now, try to use google adding
Code:
site:physicsforums.com
to your searches.

Last edited:
I like the overall look!

But one thing I found quite annoying is the social media bar to the left on the screen. It's fairly big, flashy colors and always shows up with a delay on every page you start reading. Is there a way to turn it off or permanently hide it? There's a small arrow below it for collapsing it, but it still comes back as soon as you click a new link. Just make the small arrow perma-hide it would be a quick solution I think.

Yep, I have the same issue. Probably some database cleanup that Greg will get to after the more pressing issues are resolved.

EDIT: OOPS ... didn't see Borek's post

Greg Bernhardt said:
Not sure what canbe done about that. It needs to be broken up some how. Responsive sizing would be neat though.

Unfortunately I just don't recall exactly how the page appeared before the upgrade, but I know I could see that whole posting. Unless the rendering was smaller somehow, I think there must have been horizontal scrollbars either inside the panel, or on the browser frame? That would be the obvious way to handle very wide equations that don't fit in the current browser window (no different than any web page really). Would the previous version have done that?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
ostrich2 said:
Unfortunately I just don't recall exactly how the page appeared before the upgrade, but I know I could see that whole posting. Unless the rendering was smaller somehow, I think there must have been horizontal scrollbars either inside the panel, or on the browser frame? That would be the obvious way to handle very wide equations that don't fit in the current browser window (no different than any web page really). Would the previous version have done that?
You're right, there was a scroll bar. I've edited this latex, anyway, since it went off the screen for me too. Hopefully it's all visible now.