1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have a question about bike problem

1. Oct 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bicycle is rolling down a circular portion of a path; this portion of the path has a radius of 7.78 m. As the drawing illustrates, the angular displacement of the bicycle is 0.877 rad. What is the angle (in radians) through which each bicycle wheel (radius = 0.330 m) rotates?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically, what I did to solve the problem was that I multiplied the angular displacement
    of the bicycle and the radius of the path. So it was 0.877 x 7.78 and I got 6.82306. To
    this number, I divided 0.330, which is angle of bicycle wheel and I finally got 20.7, but
    the website says that this is wrong. I tried to put 20.68 and it was still wrong. Can someone
    tell me if I did something wrong to do this problem? The unit must be in radians. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You've not posted the drawing, but based on the text your answer seems right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook