Have a question about bike problem

• Thread starter snoopy82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bike
In summary, a bicycle with an angular displacement of 0.877 rad is rolling down a circular path with a radius of 7.78 m. To determine the angle (in radians) through which each bicycle wheel (radius = 0.330 m) rotates, you can multiply the angular displacement by the path radius and divide by the wheel radius. This results in an angle of approximately 20.7 radians. However, the website may have a different answer or require a more precise calculation.
snoopy82

Homework Statement

A bicycle is rolling down a circular portion of a path; this portion of the path has a radius of 7.78 m. As the drawing illustrates, the angular displacement of the bicycle is 0.877 rad. What is the angle (in radians) through which each bicycle wheel (radius = 0.330 m) rotates?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, what I did to solve the problem was that I multiplied the angular displacement
of the bicycle and the radius of the path. So it was 0.877 x 7.78 and I got 6.82306. To
this number, I divided 0.330, which is angle of bicycle wheel and I finally got 20.7, but
the website says that this is wrong. I tried to put 20.68 and it was still wrong. Can someone
tell me if I did something wrong to do this problem? The unit must be in radians. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've not posted the drawing, but based on the text your answer seems right.

1. How can I fix a flat tire on my bike?

To fix a flat tire on your bike, you will need a spare inner tube, tire levers, and a pump. Start by removing the wheel from your bike and using the tire levers to remove the tire from the rim. Then, take out the damaged inner tube and replace it with the spare one. Make sure to properly inflate the new tube before putting the tire back on the rim and reattaching the wheel to your bike.

2. How do I adjust my bike's gears?

To adjust your bike's gears, start by shifting to the highest gear and then loosening the cable tension screw on the derailleur. Next, shift to the lowest gear and tighten the cable tension screw until the chain moves smoothly. If your gears still do not shift properly, you may need to adjust the limit screws on your derailleur.

3. What should I do if my brakes are squeaking?

If your bike's brakes are squeaking, it is likely due to dirt or debris on the brake pads or rims. To fix this, you can clean the brake pads and rims with a rag and some rubbing alcohol. You may also need to adjust the position of the brake pads or tighten the brake cable. If the squeaking persists, it may be time to replace your brake pads.

4. How often should I clean and lubricate my bike chain?

It is recommended to clean and lubricate your bike chain every 100-200 miles or whenever it appears dirty or dry. Use a degreaser and a rag to remove any dirt or grime from the chain, and then apply a lubricant specifically designed for bike chains. Make sure to wipe off any excess lubricant to prevent attracting more dirt.

5. What safety precautions should I take when riding at night?

When riding at night, it is important to have proper lighting on your bike, including a front and rear light. You should also wear reflective clothing and use reflective tape on your bike to increase visibility. It is also a good idea to plan your route ahead of time and avoid busy roads if possible. Always follow traffic laws and ride defensively to ensure your safety.