How far have u gone on the stationary bike?

  • Thread starter Thread starter shaka23h
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bike
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
shaka23h
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Suppose you are riding a stationary exercise bicycle, and the electronic meter indicates that the wheel is rotating at 10.4 rad/s. The wheel has a radius of 0.507 m. If you ride the bike for 42.6 min, how far would you have gone if the bike could move?

ok here is what i know

my W (angular speed) is 10.4 rad//s
Radius = 0.507 m
time = 42.6 min x 60 sec = 2556 sec

I tried to use this equation

theta = 1/2 (w0 + w )t and I got a value of 13291.2 radians can I use this value to find the distance, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
shaka23h said:
Suppose you are riding a stationary exercise bicycle, and the electronic meter indicates that the wheel is rotating at 10.4 rad/s. The wheel has a radius of 0.507 m. If you ride the bike for 42.6 min, how far would you have gone if the bike could move?

ok here is what i know

my W (angular speed) is 10.4 rad//s
Radius = 0.507 m
time = 42.6 min x 60 sec = 2556 sec

I tried to use this equation

theta = 1/2 (w0 + w )t and I got a value of 13291.2 radians can I use this value to find the distance, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
You have to the relationship between the angular speed and tangential velocity. If you assume that there is no slippage between the wheel and the road, then velocity x time = distance. Do you know how [itex]\omega[/itex] is related to v and R?

AM