1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have I proved this obvious fact correctly? (Real Analysis)

1. May 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It's not a HW problem. I was reading baby Rudin, in chapter 6 when it talks about Riemann–Stieltjes integral, it claims that given ε>0, we could choose η>0 such that (α(b)-α(a))η<ε. I wonder why it is true. I proposed this question to myself:

Suppose that ε>0 is an arbitrarily given number. Is there a positive real number η such that for every real x we have: |x|η<ε?

3. The attempt at a solution

My solution is this: Suppose that such an η>0 doesn't exist. Therefore there exists a real number r such that for any η>0 we have: |r|η ≥ ε. Since η is now arbitrary, let's set η=1. we'll have 0<ε<|r|, but this restricts ε and that is in contradiction with the hypothesis that ε is arbitrarily given. (for example we could set ε=|r|+1 and that fails for sure).

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think that follows. Just do this: Given ##\eta## and ##\epsilon##, pick ##x>\frac \epsilon \eta##, which shows the statement is false.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook