Have mass flow rate, want superficial vapour velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses determining superficial vapour velocity in a pipe separated into three sections with the same flow areas. The first section contains liquid water with a known mass flow rate, the second section has heated water with a calculable steam quality, and the third section has a mixture of water and vapour. The question is whether the superficial vapour velocity can be obtained by multiplying the mass flow rate of vapour by the specific volume, and if this can then be used to determine the vapour superficial velocity by dividing it by the flow area. It is clarified that superficial velocity refers to the velocity of a phase as if it is the only phase moving through the cross section. The goal is to determine the Superficial Vapour
daPope
Hi guys, quick simple question.

Lets say I have a pipe separated into 3 sectoins (all horizontal), all have the same flow areas.

In the first section it is all liquid water. I know the mass flow rate in this.

In the second section the water is heated. And I can work out the steam quality here.

In the third section there is a mixture of water and vapour. I would like to know the superficial vapour velocity in this section.

-------------------------

If I know the quality, that means I know the mass flow rate of vapour, from x = mdot-vapour / mdot-total, right?

From mdot-vapour [kg/s], could I multiply it by the specific volume [m3/kg] to get the volumetric flow rate of vapour?

If I have the volumetric flow rate of vapour, I should be able to just get the vapour superficial velocity by dividing volumetric flow rate over flow area, right?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends. What is your definition of superficial velocity?

Chet

I don't know, are there any other meanings to Superficial Velocity than "the velocity of the phase as if it is the only phase moving through the cross section"?

I really only need the Superficial Vapour Velocity and Superfacial Liquid Velocity and look up the values on Flow Regime tables to see what "Flow Regime" that section of the pipe is on.

daPope said:
I don't know, are there any other meanings to Superficial Velocity than "the velocity of the phase as if it is the only phase moving through the cross section"?

I really only need the Superficial Vapour Velocity and Superfacial Liquid Velocity and look up the values on Flow Regime tables to see what "Flow Regime" that section of the pipe is on.
It looks like you've answered your own question.

Chet

I've only answered my own question if what I assumed above makes sense :) Which I'm not sure of.

I take your reply to mean that I have worked it out the proper way?

What is mass flow rate?

Mass flow rate is the measure of the amount of mass passing through a given cross-section of a material per unit time. It is typically measured in kilograms per second.

What is superficial vapour velocity?

Superficial vapour velocity is the speed at which a fluid or gas is flowing through a system, without taking into account the volume occupied by the particles of the fluid or gas. It is typically measured in meters per second.

How are mass flow rate and superficial vapour velocity related?

Mass flow rate and superficial vapour velocity are related through the density of the fluid or gas. The mass flow rate is equal to the product of the density and the superficial vapour velocity.

Why is it important to calculate superficial vapour velocity?

Calculating superficial vapour velocity is important in various industrial processes, such as chemical reactions, distillation, and fluidized bed reactors. It helps in determining the efficiency and performance of these processes and allows for the optimization of operating conditions.

How can I calculate superficial vapour velocity if I know the mass flow rate?

To calculate superficial vapour velocity from mass flow rate, you will need to know the density of the fluid or gas. Then, simply divide the mass flow rate by the density to obtain the superficial vapour velocity. Make sure to use consistent units for accuracy.