Have you considered sustainability in your shampoo dispenser design?

  • Thread starter Thread starter petematic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Building
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
petematic
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of making my own shampoo dispenser for my shower because when using shampoo there is problems getting all the shampoo out of the bottle. I'm going to make it dispense the shampoo using a sensor. There will be different settings for the length of someones hair, i.e. short, medium, and long. It will be attached to the shower wall using either suction cups or adhesive.

Instead of using a bottle of shampoo I want it to to use sachets. There will be rollers that roll out the shampoo out of the sachet but I think this is flawed. The whole idea is to reduce the amount of shampoo left in the bottle, thus saving money in the long run.

Problems:
I am not to sure about the device as it will be electrical parts. I don't really know how I will be able to section off the electrical circuit board and power it while making it water proof. Any suggestions?

Any other suggestions to design would be helpful as well.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
petematic said:
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of making my own shampoo dispenser for my shower because when using shampoo there is problems getting all the shampoo out of the bottle. I'm going to make it dispense the shampoo using a sensor. There will be different settings for the length of someones hair, i.e. short, medium, and long. It will be attached to the shower wall using either suction cups or adhesive.

Instead of using a bottle of shampoo I want it to to use sachets. There will be rollers that roll out the shampoo out of the sachet but I think this is flawed. The whole idea is to reduce the amount of shampoo left in the bottle, thus saving money in the long run.

Problems:
I am not to sure about the device as it will be electrical parts. I don't really know how I will be able to section off the electrical circuit board and power it while making it water proof. Any suggestions?

Any other suggestions to design would be helpful as well.

Thanks

Welcome to the PF.

(Is this project for school? If so, I will move the thread to our schoolwork section.)

I would tend to stay away from electrically powered stuff in the shower. It's probably not needed, and checking/changing batteries is a pain.

As long as the container is inverted, there is very little waste for the shampoo when the container gets close to empty. I would think you could make a nice mechanism that dispenses the shampoo from a bottle that allows air to displace the shampoo at the top, or from a flexible bladder that collapses as it empties. The latter is how the dispensers work here at my work's locker room showers...
 
hey,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry it is for college. I would appreciate it if you could move the thread to that section, without having to write it again.

Thanks
 
petematic said:
hey,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry it is for college. I would appreciate it if you could move the thread to that section, without having to write it again.

Thanks

No worries.

One other thing you might look into is making the dispenser add air bubbles into the shampoo as it dispenses it. Kind of a "foamer" action (not sure what to call it).