Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have you read any books on Human Emotion?

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1
    Recently? What are some that you would like to share?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2
    I read
    Jean-Paul Sartre's "The Emotions: Outline of a Theory"
    It was so long ago and I will not comment on this book.

4. Oct 31, 2008 #3
    Sadly, no.

5. Oct 31, 2008 #4
    I have collected some books on human emotions, applied psychology, close relationships but never get time to read them :uhh:

They are just awfully boring!

6. Oct 31, 2008 #5
    Me neither. I find human emotion best tested through practice. For example: make someone cry and then laugh and see if their opinion of you changes!

7. Oct 31, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sadly? I can't think of any reason I'd want to read such books. So, gleefully, no! :biggrin:

8. Oct 31, 2008 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haven't read any books on emotions...I just have them. Emotions, that is, not books on emotions.

9. Oct 31, 2008 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which emotions are you interested in?

10. Oct 31, 2008 #9
    industrial psychology :rolleyes:
    I think applied psychology is really important in politics or businesses.

11. Nov 1, 2008 #10
  12. Nov 1, 2008 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Nov 1, 2008 #12
    Hmm... Synaptic Self by Joseph LeDoux... is that more about neuroscience or psychology?

14. Nov 1, 2008 #13
    Interesting MiH, is there any research about the remarkable split in human behavior? On the one hand, being so careless about true high risks, like smoking, drugs, speeding, no safety belts, drinking & driving, gun handling and eight year old kids etc, while on the other hand panicking about non issues like depleted uranium ammunition and safety of nuclear plants, radiation from cell phones, ozone holes, etc, and that climate thinghy too.

15. Nov 1, 2008 #14

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Read Damasio's books.

16. Nov 1, 2008 #15
    I've read some books about consciousness which included a lot of science about emotions. Does that count?

17. Nov 1, 2008 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't read his book yet, but you'll probably see a very tight integration of both. I came across LeDoux in Scientific American Mind article a couple of years ago. ("Mastery of Emotions” February/March 2006 edition by David Dobbs.) I found what appears to be the text of the article here:

http://daviddobbs.net/page2/page10/ledoux.html

Note the comment:

18. Nov 1, 2008 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some LeDoux ideas on the problem of anxiety:
    http://daviddobbs.net/page2/page10/ledoux.html

Perhaps for the reckless the paths from amygdala to the cortex are fewer/less functional, or the "damping controls" running back from the cortex to the amygdala are strong enough to quell the anxiety signals. I'd be surprised if someone has not investigated this in people with Antisocial Personality Disorder, who typically exhibit reckless behavior.

19. Nov 1, 2008 #18
    I was thinking how much governments depend upon these studies when they make policies or laws. Or do some leaders just implement whatever they think is rational or better through their own personal judgements/emotions.

20. Nov 1, 2008 #19
    As you can tell, none of the candidates actually answer questions directly.

21. Nov 1, 2008 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, Andre, I did not respond to your question. You were asking about the dichotomy within a person. I don't know much about why some people choose rationalize some dangerous behaviors, but then overreact to things that might be considered minimal threats. In the case of smoking, drugs, and drinking, it seems to be primarily about addiction and satisfying an artificial but incredibly strong drive.

Some of the things that might be considered minimal risks can also be very perceptually salient (image of Chernobyl) and repeatedly presented (news stories about cell phone radiation) and this could alter our perception of the threat by making it more easily brought to mind. Check out the "availability heuristic": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Availability_heuristic
    An event can also be very salient because it's convenient. For instance, a smoker might remember hearing about a story about a person who lived to 100 and smoked every day of his life. Bias involves a lot cherry-picking -- see "confirmation bias":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
    "..confirmation bias is a tendency to search for or interpret new information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions and avoids information and interpretations which contradict prior beliefs."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?