Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having a hard time understanding this

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

This question was posted in the homework forum. To my understanding, this looks like two different questions as the first hypothesis is not true due to a simple counter-example argument. The second one would be true by two induction arguments on k>2 and k<0.

Am I wrong in thinking this? It seems logical since he said "there exists a c >1" so I would figure any REAL c must make the inequality true?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2
    I would use induction on this. The wording is pretty awkward and it seems like two different questions but I think they are looking for an induction type proof.

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Zondrina, I had the same confusion as you when I first read the question. It is actually only one question. The first part is not saying
    " if m>1 then there exists a c>1 that satisfies
    cm<mc"
    The whole thing is saying that if the number "m" is such that some "c" exists satisfying the requirement, then every k>c satisfies the second inequality.

5. Nov 11, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yes this makes sense now, thank you. If that were the case though, would I have been wrong to say that?

I thought he meant for every m>1, there exists a c>1 which satisfies .. blah.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook