Having trouble understanding Open Covers

• Thread starter jimmypoopins
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of open covers and subcovers for a given open interval (0,1). The speaker struggles to understand the definition of open cover and how it applies to different examples. The conversation also clarifies that a subcover is a subset of a cover that still covers the set. It is then explained that certain examples, like (-1,2) and (1/3,2), do not form a valid subcover for (0,1) because they are not included in the original cover. The conversation concludes with the speaker expressing their understanding of the concept.
jimmypoopins
Hey all, I'm hoping someone can help me understand this example in my book. I'm pretty bad at analysis, so explaining things as elementary as possible would be nice.

Example: Consider the open interval (0,1). For each point x in (0,1) let O_x be the open interval (x/2, 1). Taken together, the infinite collection {O_x : x in (0,1)} forms an open cover for the open interval (0,1). Notice, however, that it is possible to find a finite subcover. Given any proposed finite subcollection
{O_x_1, O_x_2, ..., O_x_n)
set x' = min{x_1, x_2, ..., x_n) and observe that any real number y satisfying 0 < y <= x'/2 (that symbol is less than or equal to) is not contained in the union from i=1 to n O_x_i.

I understand that the infinite collection of open intervals forms an open cover for the open interval (0,1), but i don't understand why you can't come up with a finite amount of open intervals, like for example, (-1,2/3) and (1/3,2) to cover the open interval (0,1). Is it because -1 and 2 aren't contained in (0,1)? The definition of open cover is a little vague in my book.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
it says it's impossible to find a finite SUBcover. they're saying there is no finite subset of their proposed cover that covers (0,1)

ohhh, okay, i get it. so a SUBcover of (a,b) implies it's a collection of SUBsets of (a,b)?

no, not quite. given a cover C, a subcover is a subset of that cover that still covers the set. they give an example of a cover ({O_x : x in (0,1)}). they're saying there is no FINITE subset of this cover that still covers (0,1). you can't have a subcover without a cover.

does my example of (-1, 2/3) and (1/3, 2) count as an open subcover of the cover (-1, 2) to cover the interval (0,1), then?

If your cover is just
{ (-1, 2) }
(is this even a cover, wouldn't it have to be { (-1, 2) intersected with (0, 1) } ?
then no, because (-1, 2/3) and (1/3, 2) are both not in the cover.
If you'd consider { (-1, 2), (-1, 2/3), (1/3, 2) } a valid cover (despite the fact that the intervals lie outside (0, 1)) then the answer would be "yes", though.

CompuChip said:
If your cover is just
{ (-1, 2) }
(is this even a cover, wouldn't it have to be { (-1, 2) intersected with (0, 1) } ?
then no, because (-1, 2/3) and (1/3, 2) are both not in the cover.
If you'd consider { (-1, 2), (-1, 2/3), (1/3, 2) } a valid cover (despite the fact that the intervals lie outside (0, 1)) then the answer would be "yes", though.

i don't know whether this is a cover or not, and that's one of the reasons i posted this thread, because I'm having difficulty understanding what a cover and subcover actually are.

jimmypoopins said:
i don't know whether this is a cover or not, and that's one of the reasons i posted this thread, because I'm having difficulty understanding what a cover and subcover actually are.
Yes, {(1,2)} is a "cover" of (0, 1) because every point of (0, 1) is in some set in {(-1,2)}. In fact, since there is only one set in that cover, it is true because (0, 1) is a subset of (-1, 2).
{(1/n, 1)} is a also a cover of (0,1) because, for any x in (0,1), that is, any x such that 0< x< 1, we can find n such that 1/n< x. (Choose integer n> x. Then x< 1/n.) There is no finite subcover because then there would have to be a largest N. choose x< 1/N for that largest N. It is not in any of the intervals.

jimmypoopins said:
ohhh, okay, i get it. so a SUBcover of (a,b) implies it's a collection of SUBsets of (a,b)?
No, a SUBcover of {Xi}, where {Xi} is a cover of (a,b) is a SUBset of {Xi} which also covers (a,b).

thanks for all the replies, guys. i think i got it now :)

1. What is an open cover?

An open cover is a collection of open sets that covers a given topological space. In other words, every point in the space is contained in at least one of the open sets in the cover.

2. Why is understanding open covers important?

Open covers are important in topology because they help us define and understand concepts such as compactness and connectedness. They also allow us to prove theorems and make generalizations about topological spaces.

3. How do I determine if a collection of open sets is an open cover?

To determine if a collection of open sets is an open cover, you need to check two things: 1) that the sets are open, and 2) that they cover the entire space. This means that every point in the space must be contained in at least one of the open sets in the collection.

4. What is the difference between an open cover and a subcover?

An open cover is a collection of open sets that covers the entire space, while a subcover is a subset of that collection that still covers the entire space. In other words, a subcover is a smaller version of an open cover.

5. Can a space have more than one open cover?

Yes, a space can have multiple open covers. In fact, most spaces have infinitely many open covers. This is because there are usually many different ways to cover a space with open sets.