Hawking Radiation's Virtual Particles?

In summary: Essentially, the virtual particles created by Hawking radiation are real particles outside the event horizon, but they exist only for a short time. After that, they disappear and the black hole loses energy.
rollcast
Not sure if this is the right forum but hey ho..

I have been reading about Hawking radiation in Black Holes, whereby virtual particles are created at the event horizon and of the particle and anti particle pair 1 can escape before it is annihilated.

Why are the particles which make up the hawking radiation a virtual particle inside the Event Horizon but are real particles outside of the horizon?

Thanks
AL

Physics news on Phys.org
Quoting from Birrell and Davies, p264: " ...the continuous, spontaneous creation of virtual particle-antiparticle pairs around the black hole can be used to explain the Hawking radiation. Virtual particle pairs created with wavelength λ separate temporarily to a distance ≈ λ. For λ ≈ M, the size of the hole, strong tidal forces operate to prevent reannihilation. One particle escapes to infinity with positive energy to contribute to the Hawking flux, while its corresponding antiparticle enters the black hole trapped by the deep gravitational potential well on a timelike path of negative energy relative to infinity. Thus the hole radiates quanta with wavelength ≈ M."

rollcast, make sure you note what Bill K said only implicitly "while its corresponding antiparticle enters the black hole" which mean the formation is OUTSIDE the event horizon.

I was previously strongly of the belief that I had read that the formation was INSIDE the EH, but in a previous thread on this forum it was explained to me that I was wrong and why.

Thanks, makes a bit more sense when its outside the EH.
Are the particle pairs just vacuum fluctuations, and to obey conservation laws the negative one goes into the black hole and reduces the BH total energy and mass. The other positive particle is then emitted from the BH and adds energy and mass to the surrounding space so therefore conservation is maintained?

rollcast said:
Thanks, makes a bit more sense when its outside the EH.
Are the particle pairs just vacuum fluctuations, and to obey conservation laws the negative one goes into the black hole and reduces the BH total energy and mass. The other positive particle is then emitted from the BH and adds energy and mass to the surrounding space so therefore conservation is maintained?

That's my understanding.

1. What are Hawking Radiation's Virtual Particles?

Hawking radiation's virtual particles are particles that are created and destroyed constantly on the edge of a black hole's event horizon. They are called "virtual" because they are not real particles in the traditional sense, but rather are fluctuations in the quantum vacuum.

2. How are virtual particles related to Hawking Radiation?

Virtual particles play a crucial role in the process of Hawking radiation. When a virtual particle-antiparticle pair is created near the event horizon, one of the particles may fall into the black hole while the other escapes, carrying away energy and causing the black hole to lose mass.

3. Why are virtual particles important in understanding black holes?

Virtual particles are important because they help explain how black holes can emit radiation despite being known for their extreme gravitational pull. This phenomenon was first theorized by Stephen Hawking, and the concept of virtual particles plays a key role in his explanation of Hawking radiation.

4. Can virtual particles be observed?

No, virtual particles cannot be observed directly. They are only able to exist for a very short amount of time before they are annihilated. However, their effects can be observed through the phenomenon of Hawking radiation from black holes.

5. Are virtual particles a real physical phenomenon?

Yes, virtual particles are a real physical phenomenon that has been observed in various experiments. They are a crucial aspect of quantum mechanics and are essential in understanding the behavior of particles at the smallest scales.