Hawking's latest book and it's on mathematics!

1. Nov 20, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2005 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hawking's got to stop stealing the God expressions from Einstein.

4. Dec 3, 2005 #3

t!m

It's good as long as you know what you're buying. Each chapter includes a short biography of the mathematician (17 in total) followed by a brief discussion of their work and its significance. This is then followed by selections of the mathematician's original work, reproduced, which comprises a majority of the book. It is its own contained library of what Hawking believes to be the most significant works in math.

5. Dec 3, 2005 #4
    the expression "god created the integers, all else is the work of man" is kronecker's. he was one of cantor's leading anagonists.

6. Dec 4, 2005 #5
    I've also seen another version in which he seems to have said that "God created the natural numbers...". I first came across this in a book on number theory by David Burton. Wikipedia seems to agree with you, though.:rolleyes:

7. Dec 4, 2005 #6
    einstein said "I want to know God's thoughts,..... the rest is just details.." maybe that's what you're thinking of?

8. Dec 4, 2005 #7
    Einstein also said "God damn, I'm having a hard time unifying these forces."

*pure conjecture on my part. he may not have said that. but I bet he thought it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?