Health Care Reform - almost a done deal? DONE!

1. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,519
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It appears that the House will vote on Sunday; I think on the Reconciliation Act of 2010.
    http://www.rules.house.gov/bills_details.aspx?NewsID=4606

Then it goes back to the Senate. However, as I understand this, the President can sign the bill passed by the House making it law until the Senate votes on the changes.

I still haven't figured out the ins and outs of the Deem and Pass [known dysphemistically as Demon Pass] maneuver, but it seems the Dems have a path to get this done.

2. jcsd
  3. Re: Health Care Reform - almost a done deal?

The Slaughter option (deem and pass) means that they pass a rule instead of a vote based on Yeas or Nays. It changes the rules of the house so that the House acts as though the bill passed with a vote of Yeas or Nays. This will undoubtedly draw a constitutional challenge if tried.

If they had the votes, they would have done an up/down vote by now.

ADD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-executing_rule

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  4. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,519
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Health Care Reform - almost a done deal?

Apparently this provides cover for Dems up for election who would not normally support the bill for fear of voter backlash.

As I understand it, aspects of the bill not relating to budget issues were deleted.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. Re: Health Care Reform - almost a done deal?

That is the theory, that it'll provide cover for the Democrats. Barack Obama has said that this is not the case and that the American people will judge the Slaughter solution as a vote for or against health care in a recent interview.

6. Re: Health Care Reform - almost a done deal?

Well, the democrat argument is that health coverage will save money on the budget, so it is a budget item. I see it as a rationalization in order to gain power over the insurance industry, which is about 1/6 of the total economy. I'll qualify that as an educated opinion.

7. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,519
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Imo, what is important is that this passes. Let the chips fall where they may. Most people actually support a good part of what's in the bill but they just don't know it. The Dems are betting that once people understand what was passed, more than not, the rest will be forgotten.

We have to do something about the cost and state of health care. If we don't do this now, no one will touch it again for a very long time. There is no more time to wait. Things can always be amended later.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

8. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,519
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As far as legal challenges, I'll leave that up to the lawyers. The Republicans have used this technique 70% of the times it was used.

9. turbo

turbo 7,365
    Gold Member

The GOP is pulling out all the stops to kill this bill. Pass it now, with all of its warts, and fix it incrementally. The CBO has already said that the bill will reduce the deficit over time and add 32 million uninsured people to our health-care system.

10. Re: Health Care Reform - almost a done deal?

As you know, I'm on the other side of this issue. I profoundly believe in property rights, and this bill will be the first time in history where the government is allowed to force citizens to buy a product. That is flatly unconstitutional, and I see much of the problems in America as direct results of our progressive deviation of small constitutional government. There are a lot of ways to reform health care without giving up our individual liberties.

11. Re: Health Care Reform - almost a done deal?

The current CBO estimate is preliminary. The CBO scored it without seeing the bill yet. It's a little odd/troubling to me that the CBO comes out with the estimate on a bill that isn't even written yet.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=36091

12. turbo

turbo 7,365
    Gold Member

You want poor people to keep their individual "liberty" to have no access to preventative care, and rely on ER visits for emergent care when it is (often) too late to hope for positive outcomes, that drive up costs for all of us? Why?

13. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,519
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bull
    http://www.cbo.gov/

Uh, your link is dated March 1st.

14. Re: Health Care Reform - almost a done deal?

The letter is from the CBO to the Speaker of the House. You be the judge.

15. Re: Health Care Reform - almost a done deal?

The reconciliation hasn't happened yet, so it can't be officially scored. Thus its preliminary.

16. Re: Health Care Reform - almost a done deal?

Oh wait, it's been updated. They do have an official score today.
    They did not before. It's an article that's been kept up to date.

17. Re: Health Care Reform - almost a done deal?

Do Illegals get health care benefits also?

Can you just walk into a hospital now and say "treat me?" Or do we get a card?

18. Re: Health Care Reform - almost a done deal?

My state government requires I purchase auto insurance...so maybe not the 1st time.

Besides, was it not the republicans that originally proposed the idea of an insurance mandate during the Clinton era? ...and now they are calling it unconstitutional?
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123670612
    I honestly don't see how they can keep their stories straight sometimes...talk about "Flip-Flopping". :rolleyes:

19. Re: Health Care Reform - almost a done deal?

Yes, I believe people in prisons get splendid healthcare! :biggrin:

20. Re: Health Care Reform - almost a done deal?

You are not forced to buy auto-insurance any more than you are forced to drive on public roads.

It's not republicans calling it unconstitutional. You guys have to understand that constitutional challenges originate from citizens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook