Will a failure to raise the US debt ceiling force a default?

In summary, the US Treasury predicts that the current legal ceiling could be reached as early as March 31, forcing a vote on the matter soon. Secretary of the Treasury Geithner has written a letter to Congress urging them to raise the debt limit before this happens. Senator Paul has voiced his concerns about the debt increase over the last decade and the Tea Party's concerns about the debt and spending in the last two years, and has proposed attaching "token spending cuts" to the debt ceiling measure. It is not clear to me that the government would be forced to default on legal obligations of the United States after taking in less than $200B per month in taxes, given that the interest on the debt is
PhilKravitz said:
Are you suggesting a 14% of GDP cut in federal spending? Roughly half of their spending.
At 43% cut. Yes, over the two year term of this Congress. The time for the OMG! calls was a couple years go when the US was buying car companies and raising discretionary budgets by 20%. Too late now.

Physics news on Phys.org
mheslep said:
At 43% cut. Yes, over the two year term of this Congress. The time for the OMG! calls was a couple years go when the US was buying car companies and raising discretionary budgets by 20%. Too late now.

Hurray! I agree completely.

mheslep said:
The US government has failed to collect more than 20% of GDP in revenues in modern times...

While managing to spend quite a bit more of unaccounted funds.

Al68 said:
The problem is that no realistic tax policy would achieve that. That kind of (effective) federal tax rate is not only far above the point of diminishing returns, it would drastically reduce GDP, making the government's problem worse, not better.

Al, Al, Al. You need to start reading more left-leaning blogs. The have the solution: tax last year's income - i.e. a wealth tax.