Can Heat Absorbing Materials Improve Fuel Cell Efficiency?

In summary: The heat capacity depends on the amount of the substance you have. 1 gram of Helium has a MUCH higher volume than 1 gram of water.If you tell us what you are using this heat absorber for, in more detail, we can give you a complete answer.
The P-manator
Are there materials that can absorb/trap heat and accumulate it efficiently?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The space shuttle ceramic... but I don't know what it is.

specific heat capacity

i think that the keyword of your question is specific heat capacity, when you apply heat to different materials you will get a different result, because the molecular structure of each one will allow the movement of the mols with a different freedom.

Substances with low specific heat such as metals require less input energy to increase their temperature. Substances with high specific heat such as water require much more energy to increase their temperature. The specific heat can also be interpreted as a measure of how well a substance preserves its temperature, i.e. "stores" heat, hence the term "heat capacity".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_heat

Thanks I've just found out a whole lot out. So for my fuel cell, it looks like I might want to use helium as my heat absorber. It'll lighten up the car as well! :smile: :biggrin:

Why do you say Helium?

The heat capacity depends on the amount of the substance you have. 1 gram of Helium has a MUCH higher volume than 1 gram of water.

If you tell us what you are using this heat absorber for, in more detail, we can give you a complete answer.

More often than not, the quantity of importance is the thermal time constant which is the ratio of the heat capacity to the thermal conductivity...but without knowing the specifics of the design and the objectives, you really can not get even a half-good answer.

Well it's for use in a fuel cell. I want to trap the waste heat in a special chamber. Inside that chamber there would be a heat absorber.

There's a chart on a website that said that helium had the highest heat capacity, hydrogen excepted. But what you say is also true, if I could get something that took up a small amount of space but had high heat capacity, that would be perfect. How about a metal?

The P-manator said:
Well it's for use in a fuel cell. I want to trap the waste heat in a special chamber. Inside that chamber there would be a heat absorber.
And do what with the trapped heat ?

1. What are heat absorbing materials?

Heat absorbing materials are substances that have the ability to absorb and store thermal energy or heat. These materials are designed to absorb heat from their surroundings, which can help regulate temperature and reduce heat transfer to other objects.

2. How do heat absorbing materials work?

Heat absorbing materials work by absorbing thermal energy through a process called conduction. When heat comes into contact with the material, the molecules within the material begin to vibrate and store the energy, preventing it from being transferred to other objects.

3. What are some examples of heat absorbing materials?

Some common examples of heat absorbing materials include water, concrete, stone, and certain metals such as iron and steel. These materials have high thermal mass, meaning they have the ability to absorb and store large amounts of heat.

4. What are the benefits of using heat absorbing materials?

The use of heat absorbing materials can provide several benefits, including reducing energy consumption and costs for heating and cooling, regulating indoor temperatures, and reducing the impact of heat waves on buildings and structures. These materials can also help with energy efficiency and sustainability efforts.

5. Are there any limitations to using heat absorbing materials?

While heat absorbing materials can be effective in regulating temperature and reducing energy consumption, they do have limitations. These materials may not be suitable for all climates, and their effectiveness can be impacted by factors such as humidity and sunlight exposure. Additionally, some heat absorbing materials may be expensive or difficult to install, making them less practical for certain applications.