Understanding the chemical process in a fuel cell

In summary: In the context of a fuel cell, though, it's more useful to think of it as the efficiency of the cell: the higher the overpotential, the less efficient the cell is at converting chemical energy into electrical energy.
JoJoQuinoa
Hello,

I'm taking an energy class and I'll be giving a presentation on fuel cells. I was wondering if I could get some help understanding the whole process of the paper below. Unfortunately, I can't post the article because of copyrights. To summarize, it's a one compartment H2O2 fuel cell with Ag foil as the anode and Prussian Blue coated carbon paper as the cathode. The reaction is as follow:

Anode: H2O2 → O2 + 2H+ + 2e; Eo = −0.68 V
Cathode: H2O2 + 2H+ + 2e→ 2H2O ; Eo = 1.77 V
Total: 2H2O2 → 2H2O + O2

I am trying to understand the role of prussian blue in this setup. The paper mentioned that Prussian Blue acted as the catalyst for this reaction but I'm not sure which process they're referring to. Is the present of Prussian blue causes the H2O2 molecules to break down on the anode side or it is there to combine H2O2 with the ions to form water?

Thank you!

"A membraneless hydrogen peroxide fuel cell using Prussian Blue as cathode material"

Chemistry news on Phys.org
From the article:
Prussian Blue (PB) is a renowned catalyst for H2O2 reduction under acidic conditions and its electrocatalytic reduction of hydrogen peroxide for biosensing and analytical applications has been studied extensively.12,13

From reference #13:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0956566304005883?via=ihub

JoJoQuinoa said:
I am trying to understand the role of prussian blue in this setup.
Prussian blue catalyzes the cathodic reduction of hydrogen peroxide to water. Without a catalyst, there is a kinetic barrier to peroxide reduction (this is referred to as an overpotential in electrochemistry). The larger the overpotential, the less efficient the fuel cell is, because energy is “wasted” getting the peroxide reactants over the activation barrier.

Edit: strictly speaking, the overpotential refers to the excess amount of voltage you need (above the half-reaction potential) to actually get the reaction to proceed. It corresponds directly to the kinetic activation barrier of the reaction.

1. What is a fuel cell and how does it work?

A fuel cell is a device that converts chemical energy from a fuel (such as hydrogen) into electrical energy through an electrochemical reaction. It consists of an anode, cathode, and electrolyte, and works by separating the electrons and protons of the fuel, allowing the electrons to flow through an external circuit to produce electricity.

2. What are the main components of a fuel cell?

The main components of a fuel cell include an anode (negative electrode), cathode (positive electrode), and an electrolyte. The anode and cathode are typically made of a porous material coated with a catalyst, while the electrolyte is a substance that allows ions to pass through but not electrons.

3. What types of fuel can be used in a fuel cell?

Fuel cells can use a variety of fuels, including hydrogen, natural gas, methanol, and even biogas from landfills or wastewater treatment plants. However, the most commonly used fuel is hydrogen, as it produces only water as a byproduct and is highly efficient in fuel cell systems.

4. What are the advantages of using fuel cells?

Fuel cells have several advantages over traditional combustion engines, including higher efficiency, lower emissions, and quieter operation. They also have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance, making them a more sustainable and cost-effective option for energy production.

5. What are the current challenges in implementing fuel cell technology?

One of the main challenges in fuel cell technology is the high cost of production and the lack of infrastructure for distributing and storing hydrogen fuel. There are also concerns about the safety of handling and storing hydrogen, as it is highly flammable. However, research and development efforts are ongoing to address these challenges and make fuel cell technology more accessible and practical for widespread use.