1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Capacity and Energy supplied

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1
    I'm stuck on some basic physics...

I'm using the formula E=mc (delta T/delta t) where E is energy, m is mass, c is specific heat, T is temperature and t is time, to calculate the energy used in heating a volume of air to a certain temperature.

Assuming that pressure is of that at sea level, I come up with a rate of heating of 12.56J per second, for a 16K rise in temperature over 10 hours, for a volume of air of 24m3.

This seems a little high, what did I do wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2007 #2

we have just been told that E=mc*deltaT, in both physics and chemsitry...?

where did you get the (deltaT/deltat) ?

EDIT: ah ha! i see where the discrepancy lies... you are working out energy per second. sorry.
  4. Jan 21, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's about the same number I get...but next time:

1. Please post such questions in the Homework & Coursework subforums, and
    2. Use the template provided (and write down the original question EXACTLY as it was given to you).
  5. Jan 22, 2007 #4
    Thanks, but it's not homework! I'm trying to work it out for myself for another project, needed to check the answer before I went forward with the work!

That IS the original question, shows why I shoudnt be a teacher!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?