1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat dissipated by a cylinder in a magnetic field

1. Jan 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have a cylinder (radius r, height h, conductivity γ) and it is immersed in a variable magnetic field B(t) = B0* e^(-t/T). The field is parallel to the axis of the cylinder.

The problem then asks to find the heat dissipated by the cylinder after an infinitely long time.

2. Relevant equations

W = [itex]\int R i^2 dt[/itex]

[itex] i = (-1/R) * \pi r^2 dB/dt [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I consider the cylinder as a succession of circular loops.

Let's consider one loop:

The heat dissipated is: [itex] W = \int R i^2 dt[/itex]

where

[itex] R = \rho \frac{l}{S} = \frac{2\pi r}{γ*S}[/itex]

[itex] i^2 = (E/R)^2 = (1/R^2) (\frac{d\varphi(B)}{dt})^2 = (1/R^2) \pi^2 r^4 (dB/dt)^2 [/itex]

where E is the Electromotive force.

So:

[itex] (dB/dt)^2 = (B0/T)^2 * e ^ {-2t/T} [/itex]

[itex] W = \int R i^2 dt = R/R^2 \pi^2 r^4 (B0/T)^2 \int_0^\infty e^{-2t/T} dt =(\pi^2 r^4 (B0/T)^2)*T/2R [/itex]

Since there are h loops, the result is [itex] \frac{h*\pi^2 *r^4 (B_0)^2}{2RT} [/itex]

Is this right?

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're on the right track, but realize that h → ∞ !
    And so of course the current di in each loop must be infitesmally small, also that the resistance of a loop will vary with r, 0 < r < radius. (I am making r variable. Dumb to use r for radius, but can't use R either since R is resistance).

In other words, consider an annulus of differential width dr and get the corresponding resistance R(r), then di = emf(r)/R(r), then integrate dP = (di^2)*R from 0 to r, then integrate dP over time t from 0 to ∞ (energy = ∫power*dt).

Good problem!

4. Jan 17, 2012 #3
    Hey :) Thanks a lot for your help.

Let's give it a second try step by step.

1. why does h → ∞ ? it isn't an infinitely long cylinder!

2. The cross section of the wire is A (constant), so

dR(r) = rho * dL/A = (rho * 2pi * dr)/A, right?

Now, di = emf(r)/R(r) with

d emf(r) = 2pi*rdr dB/dt

but now di = (dB/dt)*A*r since dr disappeared. I think it can't be right. :\

5. Jan 17, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Mea culpa. I got confused when you spoke of "h loops".

OK, think of an elemental annulus, height = h, thickness = dr, radius = r. The annuli comprising the cylinder range in radius fro 0 to R. (I will call italicized R the radius of your wire/cylinder.) In other words, think of the cylinder as kind of a cylindrical onion, with the annuli represented by the onion's layers.

There will be an emf generated around this elemental annulus. The conductance of this annulus will be dS = γ*h*dr/2πr Siemens. You need to visualize the annulus as being unfolded to a slab of metal with dimensions length = 2πr width = h, thickness = dr.

The emf around this annulus' contour will be area * dB/dt (ignoring sign). Area = πr2.

The current di will then be emf*dS, and the power dissipation will be dP = (emf)2*dS.

To get the total power you now need to integrate dP from r = 0 to r = R.

Finally you need to integrate P from t = 0 to t = ∞ to get the total energy, which of course is the heat you're looking for.

2. The cross section of the wire is A (constant), so

dR(r) = rho * dL/A = (rho * 2pi * dr)/A, right?

Now, di = emf(r)/R(r) with

d emf(r) = 2pi*rdr dB/dt

but now di = (dB/dt)*A*r since dr disappeared. I think it can't be right. :\[/QUOTE]

The current does not flow along the wire. The current flows in circles inside the wire. Other than that I don't follow your math. Where did 2pi*dr come from?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook