Heat Energy Required: Calculate Q, C, ΔT

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
Damien H
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi, wonder someone could help me, I am not physics expert. If a lube oil has a specific heat of 0.444Btu/Lb.F, how do I calculate the heat energy (kw) required to raise its temperature from 10C to 40C. Amount of liquid is 35L. Will I be able to calculate the time it takes to raise the temperature as well? someone told me its as easy as using the equation Q=CMΔT but another said I have to use Q=cpdT, I am confused!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Damien H said:
Hi, wonder someone could help me, I am not physics expert. If a lube oil has a specific heat of 0.444Btu/Lb.F, how do I calculate the heat energy (kw) required to raise its temperature from 10C to 40C. Amount of liquid is 35L. Will I be able to calculate the time it takes to raise the temperature as well? someone told me its as easy as using the equation Q=CMΔT but another said I have to use Q=cpdT, I am confused!

First i think you should specify which phisycal quantities hide behind those letters :-),
in any case The specific heat capacity of a material is:

[tex] c={\partial C \over \partial m}[/tex]

In absence of phase transition you have

[tex] c=E_ m={C \over m} = {C \over {\rho V}}[/tex]

where:

C is the heat capacity of a body made of the material in question,
m is the mass of the body,
V is the volume of the body, and

[tex]\rho = \frac{m}{V}[/tex] is the density of the material.

I bet this is the relation in your's formula:

[tex] c_p=CM[/tex]

where C is specific heat capacity at const pressure M the mass of the system and c_p is the body heat capacity at constant pressure.


I hope this answer can help you, in any case you can check this page:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_heat_capacity

bye

marco