1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Equation - Trouble Finding a General Solution

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve:

Ut=kUxx
    U(x,0)=e^3x

2. Relevant equations
    The Heat Equation:
    48b739a375dd1fc340c8fe456f9e165c.png

3. The attempt at a solution

g(y) in the heat equation for this problem is e^3y. I'm having serious trouble solving this because my professor hasn't taught us the method, and it isn't in the book. I've considered trying a change of variables by taking z=x-y, but this has led me to nowhere. I am lost, and I am not just fishing for a result.

I actually want to know how to solve this damn thing. There's a few pages worth of **** in my notebook, and now I need some guidance.

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The integral that you have to do is known as a Gaussian integral. A standard result, explained, for example, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral is

[itex] \int_{-\infty}^\infty \exp\left( - A u^2\right) du = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{A}}.~~~(1)[/itex]

In your case, you must integrate

[itex] \int_{-\infty}^\infty \exp\left( - \frac{(x-y)^2}{4kt} + 3y \right) dy.[/itex]

The technique needed is known as "completing the square," namely we attempt to write the quadratic expression in [itex]y[/itex] as a sum of a square plus a constant term:

[itex] -A y^2 + B y + C = -a (y+b)^2 + c . ~~~(2)[/itex]

Here, [itex]a,b,c[/itex] will possibly be functions of [itex]x,t,k[/itex], but do not depend on [itex]y[/itex], so the resulting integral can be done by substituting [itex] u = y +b [/itex] and then using the formula (1).

You should probably start with equation (2) and determine [itex]a,b,c[/itex] in terms of [itex] A, B,C[/itex].

4. Nov 21, 2011 #3
    I just wanted to let you know that I haven't given up on the problem and am still working at it.

I'll be back with results whenever I solve it.

5. Nov 21, 2011 #4
    Thank you so much for your help. I reached the final solution. I'll upload the results to show you as soon as I can.

I have a final question as to what happened with a negative sign when I did a substitution, if you don't mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook