Heat Kernel at t=0: Dirac Delta Intuition

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that k(x,0) is equal to the Dirac Delta function at x=0. The heat kernel and Dirac Delta are defined and the attempt at a solution involves using convolution and the defining property of the delta distribution. Further clarification is given on why the convolution is the same as f(a) in the limit t->0.
i_hate_math

Homework Statement

Show that k(x,0)=δ(x).
Where k(x,t) is the heat kernel and δ(x) is the Dirac Delta at x=0.

Homework Equations

k(x,t) = (1/Sqrt[4*π*D*t])*Exp[-x^2/(4*D*t)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just clueless from the beginning. I am guessing this is got to do with convolution?
I know ∫ k(x,t) dx = 1, {x, -∞, ∞} and the same goes for Dirac Delta.

Physics news on Phys.org
i_hate_math said:
I know ∫ k(x,t) dx = 1, {x, -∞, ∞} and the same goes for Dirac Delta.
This is not sufficient, there are many different functions that integrate to one, you need to show that
$$
\lim_{t\to 0^+} \int k(a-x,t) f(x) dx = f(a),
$$
which is the defining property of the delta distribution.

Likes i_hate_math
Orodruin said:
This is not sufficient, there are many different functions that integrate to one, you need to show that
$$
\lim_{t\to 0^+} \int k(a-x,t) f(x) dx = f(a),
$$
which is the defining property of the delta distribution.
Thanks for ur reply! I'm still a bit confused as to how this expression is obtained? I'm not too familiar with convolution, would u care to explain why the convolution is the same as f(a) in the limit t->0

i_hate_math said:
Thanks for ur reply! I'm still a bit confused as to how this expression is obtained? I'm not too familiar with convolution, would u care to explain why the convolution is the same as f(a) in the limit t->0
This is the definition of the delta distribution so it is what you need to show. If you show that it is true you will have shown that ##k(x,0) = \delta(x)##.

Likes Douglas Sunday

1. What is the heat kernel at t=0?

The heat kernel at t=0 is a mathematical function that describes the distribution of heat at a specific point in time and space. It is often used in physics and mathematics to solve heat diffusion problems.

2. What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at one point, where it is infinite. It is often used in physics to represent a point source of energy or mass.

3. How are the heat kernel and Dirac Delta function related?

The heat kernel at t=0 can be thought of as a generalized version of the Dirac Delta function. It describes the distribution of heat at a specific point in time and space, while the Dirac Delta function describes the concentration of a point source of energy or mass at a specific point.

4. What is the intuition behind the heat kernel at t=0 and Dirac Delta function?

The heat kernel at t=0 and the Dirac Delta function both represent localized concentrations of energy or heat. They are useful in solving problems involving diffusion and transfer of energy in a specific region.

5. How is the heat kernel at t=0 and Dirac Delta function used in scientific research?

The heat kernel at t=0 and Dirac Delta function are used in various fields of science, such as physics, mathematics, and engineering. They are often used to solve heat diffusion problems and to model the behavior of particles in a specific space and time. They are also used in mathematical models to study the properties of materials and to predict their behavior under different conditions.