Dirac Delta Integration Problem

In summary, the equation is valid for \int_{-1}^{0} f(x) \delta(x) \, dx + \int_0^1 f(x) \delta(x) \, dx = \int_{-1}^1 f(x) \delta(x) \, dx.
md5fungi

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^t (cos \tau)\delta(\tau) d\tau[/tex]

Evaluate the integral. I'm supposed to evaluate this for all t I believe, so I'm concerned with t<0, t=0, t>0.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x)\delta(x) dx = f(0)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the second equation will give me some of my answer. When t is infinity, cos 0 is to be evaluated, and I get 1. The problem is, I don't really understand how the Dirac Delta function works with integrals. I have no idea what would happen if I let t = -5, or t = 0, with merely the one equation I am given. The textbook I am using doesn't seem to give much information besides the above equation, and how the Delta function and Unit Step function relate.

Can anyone help me understand this better?

The answer is given to me, as well: 1 for t > 0, 0 for t < 0, not defined for t = 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Figured it out. :)

The integral of the Delta function is the Unit Step function, and then cos 0 evaluates to 1... so the answer is basically the Unit Step.

I find it convenient to remember this: the Dirac delta function is just a spike at x=0, and zero everywhere else. So the integral of anything times a delta function is obviously zero if the range of integration doesn't include the spike. That is,
[tex]\int_a^b f(x) \delta(x) = 0[/tex]
if a and b are either both positive, or both negative.

Be aware that there are several conflicting definitions for what it might mean to take an integral involving the Dirac delta whose domain isn't everywhere.

For example, one could adopt the convention that [itex]\int_S f(x) \, \delta(x) \, dx[/itex] is f(0) if [itex]0 \in S[/itex] and 0 otherwise. However, the [itex]\int_0^a f(x) \delta(x) \, dx[/itex] is now ambiguous -- is the interval of integration supposed to be [itex](0, a)[/itex]? Or is it [itex][0, a][/itex]? Or something else? What if a were negative?

Normally, individual points are irrelevant, but when you start working with things like the Dirac delta that are not functions, you have to deal with the oddities this new type of object demands.

One specific oddity is the following: what is [itex]\int_{-1}^0 f(x) \delta(x) \, dx[/itex]? What is [itex]\int_0^1 f(x) \delta(x) \, dx[/itex]? What is [itex]\int_{-1}^1 f(x) \delta(x) \, dx[/itex]? Have you worked that out (using whatever definition you're using)?

Now check if the following equation is valid:
[tex]\int_{-1}^0 f(x) \delta(x) \, dx + \int_0^1 f(x) \delta(x) \, dx = \int_{-1}^1 f(x) \delta(x) \, dx[/tex]

For that reason (and others), another convention that people use is that a half-interval only gets half of delta: for any positive t:
[tex]\int_{-t}^0 f(x) \delta(x) \, dx = \frac{1}{2} f(0)[/tex]
and
[tex]\int_0^t f(x) \delta(x) \, dx = \frac{1}{2} f(0)[/tex]

Other times, people add an extra annotation, whether the limit stops "before" 0 or "after" 0:
[tex]\int_{-1}^{0^-} f(x) \delta(x) \, dx = 0[/tex]
[tex]\int_{-1}^{0^+} f(x) \delta(x) \, dx = f(0)[/tex]
and in this convention, the following is simply illegal
[tex]\int_{-1}^{0} f(x) \delta(x) \, dx[/tex]
because you didn't annotate 0 with a direction.

1. What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is used to represent an infinitely narrow, infinitely tall spike centered at the origin of a graph. It is often referred to as the unit impulse function and plays a crucial role in the theory of distributions and Fourier analysis.

2. What is the purpose of using Dirac Delta functions in integration problems?

The Dirac Delta function is used in integration problems to represent the concentration of a particular value at a specific point. This allows us to handle discontinuous functions and certain types of singularities in a mathematical framework, making it a powerful tool in solving complex integration problems.

3. How is the Dirac Delta function defined in terms of integration?

The Dirac Delta function is defined as the limit of a sequence of functions that converge to a delta function. This sequence is typically constructed using a Gaussian function, and the limit is taken as the variance of the Gaussian tends to zero. In terms of integration, the Dirac Delta function is defined as the integral of a constant over a small interval around the point of interest, which results in a value of 1 when the point is within the interval and 0 otherwise.

4. Can the Dirac Delta function be integrated over a finite interval?

No, the Dirac Delta function cannot be integrated over a finite interval. This is because the function is only defined at a single point, and its value is 0 everywhere else. Therefore, the integral of the Dirac Delta function over any finite interval will always be 0.

5. How is the Dirac Delta function used in practical applications?

The Dirac Delta function is used in a wide range of practical applications, including signal processing, quantum mechanics, and electrical engineering. It is also used in probability and statistics to represent random variables and their probability distributions. In engineering, the Dirac Delta function is used to model point loads and point masses in structural analysis and fluid dynamics problems.