Heat production from low wear friction - efficiency

In summary, the conversation discusses efficient methods of producing heat through low wear friction. Friction is typically efficient at generating heat, but there may be ways to minimize wear while still producing heat. Examples include stirring a viscous liquid and experiments done by Joule and others. There is also a discussion about the possibility of friction without wear and the relationship between heat and force, which were only fully understood and unified around 150 years ago.
jon c
heat production from low wear friction - efficiency

What are some efficient methods of producing heat from low wear friction?

Regards

Science news on Phys.org
Friction is always almost perfectly efficient at producing heat...I'm not sure what you are really looking for.

russ_watters said:
Friction is always almost perfectly efficient at producing heat...
I think that's something like an oxymoron (there's an equivalent for statements, I believe). Efficiency normally refers to the system losing energy through friction. Friction always produces Heat and sometimes a small amount of electric charge separation.

If you want low wear with heat production then stirring a viscous liquid would be one way. Joule and others did experiments with this method, years ago. A very painstaking process.

That was all good, thankyou

My next question is: can there exist friction without wear? I will run this a separate thread. (This would then by definition be heat generation with no wear.) Interesting someone said that studies have been done with viscous fluids.

Have a look at this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_equivalent_of_heat"

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice article thankyou.
I find this subject fascinating. The relationship between the large scale mechanical world and the physics of matter. Also it is amazing how these fundamental relationships (heat and force) were only fully accepted and unified about 150 years ago.

1. How does low wear friction affect heat production?

Low wear friction typically results in lower heat production compared to high wear friction. This is because low wear friction causes less frictional contact between surfaces, resulting in less energy being converted into heat.

2. Is low wear friction more efficient in terms of heat production?

Yes, low wear friction can be more efficient in terms of heat production because it reduces the amount of energy lost to heat. This can result in lower energy consumption and cost savings.

3. What factors contribute to heat production in low wear friction systems?

The main factors that contribute to heat production in low wear friction systems include the materials used, the surface roughness and finish, the speed and load of the system, and the lubrication method.

4. How can the efficiency of heat production from low wear friction be improved?

The efficiency of heat production from low wear friction can be improved by selecting appropriate materials and lubricants, minimizing surface roughness, optimizing operating speeds and loads, and regularly maintaining and monitoring the system.

5. Can low wear friction lead to overheating in certain situations?

While low wear friction generally results in lower heat production, it can still lead to overheating in certain situations. This can occur if the system is not properly lubricated, if there are high speeds and loads, or if there is excessive wear on the surfaces.