Heat released from condensing steam

• Thread starter redfire67
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Steam
In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of ice at 0 degrees Celsius that can be melted by the heat released when one gram of steam condenses to water at 100 degrees Celsius. The key equations used are the latent heat of fusion and vaporization of water, as well as the specific heats of ice, water, and steam. After factoring in these values, the amount of mass that can be melted is determined to be 6.75 grams. The forum contributors are thanked for their help and the student expresses their appreciation for the forum's assistance.
redfire67

Homework Statement

How many grams of ice at 0 degrees Celsius can be melted by the heat released when one gram of steam condenses to water at 100 degrees Celsius?

Homework Equations

Latent Heat of Fusion of Water: 334 J/g
Latent Heat of Vaporization of Water: 2256 J/g
Specific Heat of Ice: 2.09 J/g degree Celsius
Specific Heat of Water: 4.186 J/g degree Celsius
Specific Heat of Steam: 2.01 J/g degree Celsius

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I tried relating the Lf and the Lv, but I didn't seem to get anywhere. I know that steam condensing to water releases a lot more energy than would water to ice.

Second, I tried factoring in the specific heat of ice, water, and steam, but I'm not sure how those could help me.

Is there some equation that would help me out? Thanks so much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi red and welcome to PF,

Firstly, you don't need the specific heats since both phase transitions occur under constant temperature, there is no additional heating/cooling required.

Secondly, do you know how to relate the energy of vaporisation/fusion for a given mass, m (they both obey the same relation). [Hint: If you are stuck, look at the units].

Thanks for the tips, hootenanny.

After going through some more thoughts, I used the latent heats to compare the energy expelled through condensing and the energy gained by melting. If one gram of steam gives off 2256 J condensing and one gram of ice accepts 334 J to melt. Wouldn't it just be 2256J/334J? That would give the amount of mass that that amount of energy would melt, correct?

Hope my logic is correct. Thanks again.

redfire67 said:
Thanks for the tips, hootenanny.

After going through some more thoughts, I used the latent heats to compare the energy expelled through condensing and the energy gained by melting. If one gram of steam gives off 2256 J condensing and one gram of ice accepts 334 J to melt. Wouldn't it just be 2256J/334J? That would give the amount of mass that that amount of energy would melt, correct?

Hope my logic is correct. Thanks again.
Spot on :approve:

Thanks for the confirmation.

I have to say I really like this forum. It has helped me many times before even though I haven't registered until now.

Thanks again to all the contributors. You make students like us very happy. ;)

redfire67 said:
Thanks for the confirmation.
No problem :smile:
redfire67 said:
I have to say I really like this forum. It has helped me many times before even though I haven't registered until now.

Thanks again to all the contributors. You make students like us very happy. ;)
Thanks, it's nice to know that our help is appreciated, although we didn't really do much in this case :redface:

1. What is the process of condensing steam?

Condensing steam is the process of converting steam back into water by releasing heat energy. When steam comes into contact with a cooler surface or environment, it loses its heat energy and condenses into liquid form.

2. How is heat released from condensing steam?

Heat is released from condensing steam as it changes state from a gas to a liquid. This change in state causes the steam to release its latent heat, which is the energy required to change the state of a substance without changing its temperature.

3. What is the significance of heat released from condensing steam?

The heat released from condensing steam is significant because it can be used to power various machines and processes. This heat energy can be harnessed and converted into mechanical or electrical energy for use in industries, homes, and transportation.

4. How is the amount of heat released from condensing steam calculated?

The amount of heat released from condensing steam can be calculated using the specific heat capacity and latent heat of vaporization of water. The specific heat capacity is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius, and the latent heat of vaporization is the amount of energy required to change 1 gram of water from liquid to gas at its boiling point.

5. What are some real-life applications of heat released from condensing steam?

Heat released from condensing steam is used in a variety of industries, such as power generation, food processing, and chemical production. It is also used in everyday appliances, such as boilers, refrigerators, and air conditioners. Additionally, condensing steam is crucial for the functioning of steam engines and turbines, which are used in transportation and power plants.