Heat transfer by infrared radiation (the very basics)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 6K views
davenn, you said,

“The big bang didn't have a point origin, as in an explosion and expanding out - there's been many threads on PF on the currently understood understanding of this .. try some searching - Drakkith and phinds are 2 common contributors.”

Thanks. I’m currently studying this, and will check out Drakkith and phinds’ contributions.

“You don't need to go any further back than the solar nebula to find the source of the internal heat in any of the planets.”

With respect, I disagree. If I’ve understood you correctly the solar nebula only goes back to around 4.6 billion years ago so, even if we accept that the Big Bang is complex and often misunderstood, the solar nebula itself had a source of heat, and that in turn had a source, all the way back to the conditions of the Big Bang (whatever they might be); so the ultimate source of the internal heat in any of the planets is not the solar nebula.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cliff Hanley said:
With respect, I disagree. If I’ve understood you correctly the solar nebula only goes back to around 4.6 billion years ago so, even if we accept that the Big Bang is complex and often misunderstood, the solar nebula itself had a source of heat, and that in turn had a source, all the way back to the conditions of the Big Bang (whatever they might be); so the ultimate source of the internal heat in any of the planets is not the solar nebula.

That is incorrect

As I said, for the internal heat of the planets and the starting nuclear reactions in the core of the sun... the solar nebula is the direct source
The gas and dust etc that made up the solar nebula was quite cool before it condensed and heated up under the influence of gravity

You are trying to make it more complex than it is or it needs to beDave
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Cliff Hanley