How does solar radiation contribute to heat transfer through windows?

In summary, heat energy is transferred into a room through windows by conduction as well as solar radiation. The absorbed solar radiation creates infrared radiation, which is then trapped in the room by the glass, causing the room to heat up. This is known as the greenhouse effect.
yohanblake
I am doing an assignment about heat energy transfer and passive cooling.
I understand that heat energy is transferred into rooms through windows by conduction, but I'm confused about if heat energy is also transferred through windows by solar radiation and where infrared radiation comes into play.
So is heat energy transferred through a window as solar radiation? and is infrared radiation created by the window that is heated through conduction, which causes the rest of the room to heat up?

Science news on Phys.org
yohanblake said:
I am doing an assignment about heat energy transfer and passive cooling.
I understand that heat energy is transferred into rooms through windows by conduction, but I'm confused about if heat energy is also transferred through windows by solar radiation and where infrared radiation comes into play.
So is heat energy transferred through a window as solar radiation? and is infrared radiation created by the window that is heated through conduction, which causes the rest of the room to heat up?
Hi yohanblake. Welcome to PF!

Since there is empty space between the sun and the Earth all the energy from the sun comes to us as radiation. If there are no clouds to reflect that radiation back into space, a small amount of that radiation may be absorbed by the air but most reaches down to the Earth surface. Some of the radiation is absorbed by the window itself and some may be reflected, but most of the solar radiation energy that is incident upon a window on a sunny day will be transferred through the window as radiation into the room.

AM

yohanblake said:

Long story short : sunlight comes in the window and that energy is absorbed by stuff in the room. The stuff gets a bit warmer and emits more infrared radiation (heat). Glass reflects infrared, so it doesn't escape, but gets bounced back into the room where the stuff reabsorbs it. Also known as the "greenhouse effect".

1. How does heat transfer through windows occur?

Heat transfer through windows occurs through three main processes: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through the solid material of the window, while convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of air. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

2. Why is heat transfer through windows a concern?

Heat transfer through windows can significantly impact the energy efficiency of a building. In colder climates, heat can escape through windows, leading to higher heating costs. In warmer climates, heat from outside can enter through windows, making it more difficult to cool the building and increasing cooling costs.

3. How can heat transfer through windows be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce heat transfer through windows. Double or triple-pane windows with a gas fill between the panes can provide better insulation. Low-E coatings on windows can reflect heat back into the building, reducing heat transfer. Properly sealing and insulating around windows can also help reduce heat transfer.

4. What are some common materials used for energy-efficient windows?

Some common materials used for energy-efficient windows include vinyl, fiberglass, and wood. These materials are known for their insulating properties and can help reduce heat transfer through windows.

5. Can curtains or blinds help reduce heat transfer through windows?

Yes, curtains or blinds can help reduce heat transfer through windows. Closing curtains or blinds at night can create an extra layer of insulation, reducing heat loss through windows. In warmer climates, reflective curtains or blinds can also help reflect heat away from the window, reducing heat gain.