Heat Transfer From Resistance Element to Metal Component

In summary, the conversation is about finding a high temperature thermal adhesive that can effectively transfer heat from Nichrome coils to a small piece of stainless steel. The person has tried Masterbond but they only sell in large quantities to businesses. Suggestions for alternatives include using thermally conductive epoxys commonly used in electronics manufacturing.
normynormand
Hello Physics Forums!

My problem is as follows. I have a device that produces heat via Nichrome coils. I want to heat another small piece of metal (in this case stainless steel) with those Nichrome coils. I need to reach 175 degrees C, and so far I haven't found a readily available thermal adhesive that will work in my temperature range. Is there a high temperature thermal adhesive available to consumers that I could use? Any suggestions on another way to effectively transfer the heat from the coils to my small metal component?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are a number of thermally conductive epoxys available that are used primarily in electronics manufacturing. This web site has some examples, but there are many others.

phyzguy said:
There are a number of thermally conductive epoxys available that are used primarily in electronics manufacturing. This web site has some examples, but there are many others.

Thanks for the reply. I tried Masterbond, however they only sell in large quantities to businesses.

What is heat transfer from resistance element to metal component?

Heat transfer from resistance element to metal component is the process of transferring thermal energy from a resistance element, such as a heating coil, to a metal component, such as a pot or pan. This transfer of heat allows the metal component to heat up and cook food or perform other tasks.

What is the main mechanism of heat transfer in this process?

The main mechanism of heat transfer in this process is conduction. This is when heat is transferred through direct physical contact between two materials with different temperatures. In this case, the resistance element and metal component are in direct contact, allowing the heat to transfer from the element to the metal.

What factors affect the rate of heat transfer in this process?

The rate of heat transfer from resistance element to metal component can be affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the two materials, the thermal conductivity of the materials, and the surface area of contact between the two materials. Additionally, the thickness and composition of the metal component can also impact the rate of heat transfer.

How can heat transfer from resistance element to metal component be optimized?

To optimize heat transfer from resistance element to metal component, it is important to ensure a good contact between the two materials. This can be achieved by using a flat and clean surface for the metal component to rest on. Additionally, using materials with high thermal conductivity, such as copper, can also help to improve the rate of heat transfer.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with heat transfer from resistance element to metal component?

When working with heat transfer from resistance element to metal component, it is important to handle all components with caution as they can become very hot. It is also important to ensure that all electrical connections are secure and to follow proper safety precautions for working with electricity. Additionally, it is important to monitor the temperature of the metal component to avoid overheating and potential burns.