Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Transfer through a Concrete Slab

1. Jul 25, 2014 #1
    I'm looking at the dynamic state of heat transfer through a concrete slab. Suppose heat is turned on at t=0 and the coils/tubing are 6 inches below the surface. Is there a formula or way of calculating the temperature at the surface at time = t?

I found a formula for thermal lag on wikipedia (without references -- can't find the source of the formula) for how long the time lag will be between the peak temperature on the bottom side of the slab and the peak temperature at the surface, but I would like to know the temperature profile as it rises to that peak at that point in time.

Wikipedia stub:
    22433a6e83ca7e5b240f50e3b7d60c6b.png
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_lag

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Aug 3, 2014 #3
    See Carslaw and Jaeger , Heat Conduction in Solids for transient heat transfer to a slab. See also Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, Transport Phenomena. Both these references will have the transient solutions for (a) sudden change in temperature at one side of a slab and (b) sinusoidal temperature variations at one side of a slab.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook