Heating a ring in a magnetic field

In summary, the ring expands due to the induced current. The ring has a terminal velocity due to the retarding force.
Ananya0107

Homework Statement

A ring of radius R is kept in the xy plane and a constant uniform magnetic field exists of magnitude B in the -k direction (negative z direction ) . It is heated through a temperature T . If the resistance of the ring is R1find the final radius of the ring. Coefficient of linear expansion : α , mass of ring is m.

Note: this is not a question I picked up from a textbook, but I am confused about the outcome. I ask this question out of curiousity.

Homework Equations

E = -dφ/dt
r = R(1+αΔT) whereΔT is change in temperature.
dF = idl×B where dl here would be the differential length element that is heated.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the magnitude of induced emf , as function of r,
E= B 2πr dr/dt,
I put dr/dt = α dT/dt, where T is absolute temperature
As this question is a conceptual doubt I assumed the absolute temperature T to be a function of t (a linear polynomial, T = at2+ bt +c
So I got the current in the ring as I = 2πR2 B α (2at+b)/R1
I knew that when we pull a straight rod through a magnetic field in a direction perpendicular to the magnetic field a mechanical force acts against the force of our hand equal to ilB where i = Blv/R where r is the resistance of the rod , the mass of the rod given to be m , it attains a terminal velocity which can be calculated by putting, a = ilB/m = dv/dt
So I thought that a retarding force would contract the ring, and when I checked ilB for the ring was radially inwards. Which made me think about the terminal velocity or terminal radius of the ring.
The confusion:
I could calculate the retarding acceleration of only the differential element dl , but how do I relate it to the whole ring . Also finally what equation of motion do i write for this element.
Please tell me if I am thinking in the right direction or if I should stop thinking about this problem if my approach is completely wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are thinking that you heat the ring, the ring expands, this let's more flux through the ring, which induces a current in the ring and the magnetic force opposes the expansion?

Yes.

OK - the way to wrap your head around these sorts of things is to get rid of the complications you don't need.
i.e. why is it important that it is heating that causes the expansion - surely you just want to know about the interplay of forces when the loop expands?
Does the loop have t be a ring? Could it be a rectangle?
Does it need to expand uniformly, or could it have two stretchy sides so it can be elongated?

1. How does heating a ring in a magnetic field work?

When a ring is placed in a magnetic field, the magnetic field induces eddy currents within the ring. These eddy currents create their own magnetic field, which opposes the original magnetic field. This opposition causes the ring to heat up due to the resistance of the metal.

2. What type of metal is best for heating a ring in a magnetic field?

The best type of metal for heating in a magnetic field is a highly conductive metal, such as copper or aluminum. These metals have low resistance, allowing for efficient transfer of energy from the eddy currents to the ring.

3. Can heating a ring in a magnetic field damage the ring?

Yes, heating a ring in a magnetic field can potentially damage the ring if the heat becomes too intense. This could cause the metal to warp, melt, or even crack. It is important to carefully control the intensity of the magnetic field and monitor the temperature of the ring to prevent damage.

4. What are the practical applications of heating a ring in a magnetic field?

One practical application of heating a ring in a magnetic field is in induction heating, where this process is used to heat materials in industrial applications such as metalworking and welding. It can also be used in scientific experiments to study the effects of magnetic fields on different materials.

5. Is heating a ring in a magnetic field a safe process?

Heating a ring in a magnetic field can be safe if proper precautions are taken. It is important to control the intensity of the magnetic field and monitor the temperature of the ring to prevent damage. Also, it is important to handle the ring with care as it can become very hot during the heating process.