Heavyside step function chain rule

In summary, the conversation discusses an expression of the form $$\frac{d}{da}ln(f(ax))$$ and a case analysis for evaluating the derivative in the case that ##a>0##. The result does not depend on ##\alpha## and there is a discussion about whether the expression can be simplified or if a case analysis is needed. A correction is made to the expression and the conversation concludes with a question about the validity of the simplification process.
Black_Hole_93
Hi,

I have a probably very stupid question:

Suppose that there is an expression of the form $$\frac{d}{da}ln(f(ax))$$ with domain in the positive reals and real parameter a. Now subtract a fraction ##\alpha## of f(ax) in an interval within the interval ##[ x_1, x_2 ]##, i.e.

$$f(ax) \rightarrow f(ax) \left[\theta(a(x-x_1)) \theta(a(x_2-x))+ (1-\alpha) \theta(a(x_1-x)) \theta(a(x-x_2)) \right]$$

Now in the case that ##a>0## one can use ##\theta(ax) = \theta(a)\theta(x)## and after doing a case analysis for ##x \in [x_1,x_2]## and ##x\not\in [x_1,x_2]## above expression becomes

$$\frac{d}{da} ln(f(ax)) \rightarrow \frac{d}{da}ln(f(ax)) + \frac{d}{da} ln(\theta(a)) + \frac{d}{da} ln(\theta(a)) \theta(x-x_1) \theta(x_2-x) $$

I have two questions:
i) Are the steps above legitimate, as one is dealing with functionals?
It does not seem right to me that the result does not depend on ##\alpha##...
ii) How can one evaluate ##\frac{d}{da} ln(\theta(a))## ? Is the typical chain rule applicable there (which would yield 0 for a > 0)?

Thank you and best greetings :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative does not depend on ##\alpha## because the expression does not depend on it.

The expression written above gives ##\log f(ax)## for ##x\in[x_1,x_2]## and 0 elsewhere.

That's because the product of Heaviside functions in the second term is always zero, since it is the indicator function of the set
$$\{x\ :\ x<x_1\wedge x>x_2\}$$
which is the empty set, since ##x_1\leq x_2##.

Have another go at writing the coefficient with Heaviside functions so that it gives ##(1-\alpha)## for ##x\in[x_1,x_2]## and 1 elsewhere.

Thanks for your reply!

Yep, I made an editing error...Of course it should read:

$$f(ax) \rightarrow f(ax) \left{(1-\alpha) [\theta(a(x-x_1)) \theta(a(x_2-x))]+ \theta(a(x_1-x)) + \theta(a(x-x_2)) \right}$$

Then the second equation should also make sense.

But I am still not sure if one could proceed in such a fashion. Shouldn't it be equivalent to just do a bunch of case analyses (dropping all the Heaviside functions) or to actually take deriviatives of the Heaviside function applying the usual rules?

What is the Heavyside step function?

The Heavyside step function, also known as the unit step function, is a mathematical function that returns a value of 0 for any input less than 0 and a value of 1 for any input greater than or equal to 0.

What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a fundamental rule in calculus that governs the differentiation of composite functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivative of the outer function and the derivative of the inner function.

How do you apply the chain rule to the Heavyside step function?

The chain rule can be applied to the Heavyside step function by breaking it down into two separate functions: the outer function, which is the Heavyside step function itself, and the inner function, which is the variable or expression within the function. The chain rule can then be used to find the derivative of the inner function and multiply it by the derivative of the outer function to find the overall derivative for the Heavyside step function.

What is the purpose of the chain rule when dealing with the Heavyside step function?

The chain rule is used to find the derivative of composite functions, which are functions made up of multiple simpler functions. In the case of the Heavyside step function, it can be written as a composition of two simpler functions, and the chain rule allows us to find the derivative of this composition.

Can the chain rule be applied to other functions besides the Heavyside step function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any composite function, regardless of the type of function or the number of functions involved. It is a fundamental rule in calculus and is frequently used to find derivatives in a variety of applications.