Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Heavyside step function chain rule

1. Mar 21, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I have a probably very stupid question:

Suppose that there is an expression of the form $$\frac{d}{da}ln(f(ax))$$ with domain in the positive reals and real parameter a. Now subtract a fraction ##\alpha## of f(ax) in an interval within the interval ##[ x_1, x_2 ]##, i.e.

$$f(ax) \rightarrow f(ax) \left[\theta(a(x-x_1)) \theta(a(x_2-x))+ (1-\alpha) \theta(a(x_1-x)) \theta(a(x-x_2)) \right]$$

Now in the case that ##a>0## one can use ##\theta(ax) = \theta(a)\theta(x)## and after doing a case analysis for ##x \in [x_1,x_2]## and ##x\not\in [x_1,x_2]## above expression becomes

$$\frac{d}{da} ln(f(ax)) \rightarrow \frac{d}{da}ln(f(ax)) + \frac{d}{da} ln(\theta(a)) + \frac{d}{da} ln(\theta(a)) \theta(x-x_1) \theta(x_2-x) $$

I have two questions:
    i) Are the steps above legitimate, as one is dealing with functionals?
    It does not seem right to me that the result does not depend on ##\alpha##...
    ii) How can one evaluate ##\frac{d}{da} ln(\theta(a))## ? Is the typical chain rule applicable there (which would yield 0 for a > 0)?

Thank you and best greetings :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2017 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The derivative does not depend on ##\alpha## because the expression does not depend on it.

The expression written above gives ##\log f(ax)## for ##x\in[x_1,x_2]## and 0 elsewhere.

That's because the product of Heaviside functions in the second term is always zero, since it is the indicator function of the set
    $$\{x\ :\ x<x_1\wedge x>x_2\}$$
    which is the empty set, since ##x_1\leq x_2##.

Have another go at writing the coefficient with Heaviside functions so that it gives ##(1-\alpha)## for ##x\in[x_1,x_2]## and 1 elsewhere.

4. Mar 22, 2017 #3
    Thanks for your reply!

Yep, I made an editing error...Of course it should read:

$$f(ax) \rightarrow f(ax) \left{(1-\alpha) [\theta(a(x-x_1)) \theta(a(x_2-x))]+ \theta(a(x_1-x)) + \theta(a(x-x_2)) \right}$$

Then the second equation should also make sense.

But I am still not sure if one could proceed in such a fashion. Shouldn't it be equivalent to just do a bunch of case analyses (dropping all the Heaviside functions) or to actually take deriviatives of the Heaviside function applying the usual rules?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted