1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heisenberg Uncertainty principle in 3D

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    Hi there,

So here's my assignment:

''The velocity of a positron is measured to be: vx=(4.00±0.18)*105 m/s, vy=(0.34±0.12)*105 m/s, vz=(1.41±0.08)*105 m/s. Within what minimum volume was the positron located at the moment the measurement was carried out?''

I think I'm not wrong when I say that the uncertainty principle applies in every direction. Since the velocities are not relativistic, the simple equation should be:

Δx=hbar/(2*m*Δvx)

The same equation is used for Δy and Δz, and we only take the volume of the ''uncertainty box'' V=ΔxΔyΔz.

With the positron having a mass of 9.109*10-31kg, that gives me V=1.12*10-25 m3. But I know the right answer is 1.4*10-26 m3.

Even with the relativistic equations, I get the same wrong answer.

So what am I doing wrong? Note that I never used the values of the velocities. Should I use them somewhere?

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2
    Nevermind, there was a mistake in the book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook