Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle - Seems like an easy question?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
tnbstudent
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle - Seems like an easy question??

Homework Statement


The position of a 900 kg boulder's center of mass has been determined to within an uncertainty of 1.0 nm. (a) What is the minimum uncertainty in the boulder's velocity? (b) Repeat the calculation, but for a proton with the same uncertainty in position. (c) Repeat the calculation, but for an electron with the same uncertainty in position.


Homework Equations


Δx*Δp ~ h
Assuming that there is no uncertainty in the measurement of mass,
Δx*mΔv = h
where Δv is the uncertainty in the measurement of velocity.
Δv = h / Δx *m

h = 6.6256 *10^-34 J-s
m = 900 kg for boulder
mp = 1.6725*10^-27 kg for proton
me = 9.1*10^-31 kg for electron.
Δx = 1.0*10^-9 m


The Attempt at a Solution


I did each of these the same way. Plugged in the variables using this equation:
Δv = h / (Δx *m)
The answers I got are:
a. 7.36*10^-28 m/s
b. 396.7 m/s
c. 7.28*10^5 m/s

I'm hoping I've made a silly error somewhere, but I've been unable to find it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Thanks for the help.
I used the link from jambaugh and that equation helped. I got a, but it still won't accept b&c. It is really picky about significant digits.