1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 questions--seems simple -- Heisenberg Uncertainty

1. Oct 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    These questions are out of Modern Physics by Tipler. I feel like I'm close to the answer but missing something small.

#1: A ladybug 5mm in diameter with a mass of 1 mg being viewed through a low power magnifier with a calibrated reticule is observed to be stationary with an uncertainty of 10^-2 mm. How fast might the ladybug actually be walking?

#2 Protons and neutrons in nuclei are bound to the nucleus by exchanging pions ( pi mesons) with each other. This is possible to do without violating energy conservation provided the pion is reabsorbed within a time consistent with the Heisenberg uncertainty relations. Consider the emission reaction p --> p + where m = 135 MeV/c2.

A: Ignoring kinetic energy, by how much is energy conservation violated in this reaction?
    B: Within what time interval must the pion be reabsorbed in order to avoid the violation of energy conservation?

2. Relevant equations
    ΔXΔP ≥ ħ/2
    ΔE*τ ≥ ħ
    3. The attempt at a solution
    For #1:
    I said that since the uncertainty is .01mm the lower boundary(lowest possible measurement for the diameter) is (5 - .01)mm and the upper boundary is (5+.01)mm. so:

ΔP≈ ħ/2(ΔX) (For both X's. You'll get 2 values for P)

Then saying P=MV. so V ≈ ħ/2(M)(ΔX) for both X's.

For #2:
    I said that the conservation is violated by the rest energy of one pion. Because p ---> p + π is the reaction.

but I'm not sure what to use for the uncertainty for E (ΔE) in:
    τ ≥ ħ/ΔE

My best! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

#2: what kinds of energy are you being told about?
    just looking at the equation - what is the change in energy?

#1: Δx is the uncertainty in position - not an actual position.

4. Oct 23, 2014 #3
    I see! Thanks for your help. I read some more into it and found that it is the uncertainty. As for #2 it 135 MeV(pion). for ΔE

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted