Hello I have a question on angular velocity

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving an equation and an attempt at solving it. The equation in question is v = ωr, and the individual is trying to determine the angular velocity (ω) and tangential velocity (v) for a satellite. After discussing different approaches and considering conservation laws, it is determined that the initial angular momentum is conserved and the individual is encouraged to continue their thought process.
tinothynguyen
1. Here is the equation http://i.imgur.com/EKdWnws.png

2. The attempt at a solution
The first part I've done correctly. So here's my thought process:
To get the period I used T=2 * pi * sqrt(r3 /GM_E)
T=5521s
W(angular velocity)=2pi/T
W=1.138*10-3 rad/s
V=WR where r is 6754000m
V=7686m/s
Since the thrusters double the speed of the satellite v will be become twice that and the radius will be 15.9% more. Therefore:
2V=W(R+R*15.9/100)
Substituting in all the values I had to get W my answer was 1.964*10-3 rad/s.
But I didn't get my answer right. I may have done the wrong process but it seems pretty logical from my perspective. Please enlighten me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation v = ωr is only valid for the tangential velocity (or the total velocity if the radial component is zero). After the craft has doubled its velocity, it will no longer have a circular orbit. You also cannot assume that the velocity will be constant with radius.

To help you along: Do you know of any conservation laws that may be applicable?

Can't really think of one. The only ones I know of are energy and momentum laws.

So, the question becomes: Which momentum is conserved, linear or angular?

I would say angular?

That is a good start. So what expressions do you know that give the angular momentum? What is the initial angular momentum?

1. What is angular velocity and how is it different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is different from linear velocity, which measures how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is usually expressed in units of radians per second, while linear velocity is expressed in units of meters per second.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the speed of an object in its circular path by the radius of the circle.

3. What is the relationship between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are related through the formula a = ω/t, where a is angular acceleration, ω is angular velocity, and t is time. This means that an increase in angular velocity will result in an increase in angular acceleration, and vice versa.

4. How does angular velocity affect objects in motion?

Angular velocity affects objects in motion by determining the rate at which they rotate around a fixed point. The higher the angular velocity, the faster the object will rotate. This can also impact the stability and balance of the object.

5. What factors can affect angular velocity?

The factors that can affect angular velocity include the radius of the circle, the speed of the object in its circular path, and any external forces acting on the object. Changes in these factors can result in changes in the angular velocity of the object.