1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello! I have a question on angular velocity

1. Sep 6, 2014 #1
    1. Here is the equation http://i.imgur.com/EKdWnws.png

2. The attempt at a solution
    The first part I've done correctly. So here's my thought process:
    To get the period I used T=2 * pi * sqrt(r3 /GM_E)
    T=5521s
    W(angular velocity)=2pi/T
    W=1.138*10-3 rad/s
    V=WR where r is 6754000m
    V=7686m/s
    Since the thrusters double the speed of the satellite v will be become twice that and the radius will be 15.9% more. Therefore:
    2V=W(R+R*15.9/100)
    Substituting in all the values I had to get W my answer was 1.964*10-3 rad/s.
    But I didn't get my answer right. I may have done the wrong process but it seems pretty logical from my perspective. Please enlighten me.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation v = ωr is only valid for the tangential velocity (or the total velocity if the radial component is zero). After the craft has doubled its velocity, it will no longer have a circular orbit. You also cannot assume that the velocity will be constant with radius.

To help you along: Do you know of any conservation laws that may be applicable?

4. Sep 6, 2014 #3
    Can't really think of one. The only ones I know of are energy and momentum laws.

5. Sep 6, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, the question becomes: Which momentum is conserved, linear or angular?

6. Sep 6, 2014 #5
    I would say angular?

7. Sep 6, 2014 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is a good start. So what expressions do you know that give the angular momentum? What is the initial angular momentum?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted