Helmholtz Equation in Cartesian Coordinates

In summary, the three equations give three solutions for the displacement u:
bob012345
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I'm a bit rusty and just want a set of eyes to check me on this solution of the Helmholtz equation for specific given boundary conditions in a defined region of space. Thanks.
So given the Helmholtz equation $$\nabla^2 u(x,y,z) + k^2u(x,y,z)=0$$ we do the separation of variables $$u=u_x(x)u_y(y)u_z(z)= u_xu_yu_z$$ and ##k^2 = k_x^2 + k_y^2 +k_z^2## giving three separate equations; $$\nabla^2_x u_x+ k_x^2 u_x=0$$ $$\nabla^2_y u_y+ k_y^2 u_y=0$$ $$\nabla^2_z u_z+ k_z^2 u_z=0$$ where the solutions are

$$u_x(x)= A_x\sin(k_x x) + B_x\cos(k_x x)$$
$$u_y(y)= A_y\sin(k_y y) + B_y\cos(k_y y)$$
$$u_z(z)= A_z\sin(k_z z) + B_z\cos(k_z z)$$

The given boundary conditions are ##u(x,y,0)=\sin(\pi x)\cos(\pi y)## and ##u(x,y,1)=0## in the region ##0<=x,y<=1##

So I have

$$\sin(\pi x)\cos(\pi y)=(A_x\sin(k_x x) + B_x\cos(k_x x))(A_y\sin(k_y y) + B_y\cos(k_y y))(A_z\sin(k_z 0) + B_z\cos(k_z 0))$$ setting ##B_x,A_y=0## we have

$$sin(\pi x)\cos(\pi y)=A_x\sin(k_x x)B_y\cos(k_y y)B_z$$ forcing the product of the constants=1 and ##k_x,k_y=\pi## Making ##u_x=A_x\sin(\pi x)## and ##u_y=B_y\cos(\pi y)## Then ##u(x,y,1)=0## we have
$$0=A_x\sin(\pi x)B_y\cos(\pi y)(A_z\sin(k_z) +B_z\cos(k_z))$$ but here is where I see several solutions because there aren't enough conditions to completely specify the solution. One solution would be setting ##A_z=0## and ##k_z=\frac{n\pi}{2}## giving ##u_z=B_z\cos(\frac{n\pi z}{2})## then there are infinite solutions of the form
$$u(x,y,z)_n= C_n\sin(\pi x)\cos(\pi y) \cos(\frac{n\pi z}{2})$$ and the most general solution is an infinite sum.

But also, if we set $$A_z=-B_z\frac{\cos(k_z)}{\sin(k_z)}$$ making
$$u_z=-B_z\frac{\cos(k_z)}{\sin(k_z)}\sin(k_z z) + B_z\cos(k_z z)$$ where ##k_z\ne n\pi## also meets the boundary conditions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edit, I think it needs to be
$$u_z=B_z\cos\left( (n-\frac{1}{2})\pi z \right)$$ for all integer ##n##

Last edited:
Independent of ##z## :smile: ?

##\LaTeX## notes:

use ##\cos## and ##\sin## to get ##\ \cos\ ## and ##\ \sin\ ## instead of ##\ cos\ ## and ##\ sin\ ##
use ## \left (## and ##\right ) ## to allow sizing of brackets $$u_z=B_zcos\left (\left (n- \frac{1}{2}\right )\pi\right )$$
I think nesting should work better, but forgot how to automatically get $$u_z=B_zcos\Biggl (\left (n- \frac{1}{2}\right )\pi\Biggr )$$

Likes bob012345
BvU said:
Independent of ##z## :smile: ?
It's not independent of ##z##. I put it in here

$$u(x,y,z)_n= C_n\sin(\pi x)\cos(\pi y) \cos(\frac{n\pi z}{2})$$ but that should be

$$u(x,y,z)_n= C_n\sin(\pi x)\cos(\pi y)\cos\left( (n-\frac{1}{2})\pi z \right)$$

Last edited:
Yep, with ##C_n = 1## to get ##u(x,y,0)=\sin(\pi x)\cos(\pi y)##.

Likes bob012345
BvU said:
Thanks, I missed that, the constant is always 1. In fact this boundary condition implies that while the solution could be
$$u(x,y,z)_n=\sin(\pi x)\cos(\pi y)\cos\left( (n-\frac{1}{2})\pi z \right)$$ for any n it cannot be a linear sum of solutions and meet that boundary condition else we would have

$$u(x,y,z)=\sin(\pi x)\cos(\pi y)\left(\cos\frac{\pi z}{2} + \cos\frac{3\pi z}{2} + \cos\frac{5\pi z}{2} + ... \right)$$ which solves the Helmholtz equation but for ##z=0## it gives

$$u(x,y,0)=\sin(\pi x)\cos(\pi y)\left(1 + 1 + 1 + ... \right)$$ which fails the boundary condition (and is infinity...)

Last edited:
BvU said:
I think I went too fast: doesn't$$u(x,y,z)=\sum_n C_n\sin(\pi x)\cos(\pi y)\cos\left( \bigl(n-\frac{1}{2}\bigr)\pi z \right)$$ with ##\displaystyle \sum_n C_n=1## satisfy both the equation and the boundary conditions ?
:nb)

##\ ##

BvU said:
I think I went too fast: doesn't$$u(x,y,z)=\sum_n C_n\sin(\pi x)\cos(\pi y)\cos\left( \bigl(n-\frac{1}{2}\bigr)\pi z \right)$$ with ##\displaystyle \sum_n C_n=1## satisfy both the equation and the boundary conditions ?
:nb)

##\ ##
I think now that won't work because the ##k's## have to be the same for all z terms or it fails the Helmholtz equation because there would be cross terms that do not cancel out so a series solution like

$$u(x,y,z)= \sin(\pi x)\cos(\pi y) \sum_n C_n\cos(k_z z)$$ works but there could be different ##k_z's## as before where ##k_z=(m-\frac{1}{2})\pi## for integer ##m## and a different series for each.

Likes BvU
Paging @Charles Link : do we have a unique solution here, or is there some undeterminedness left over ?

##\ ##

Likes bob012345
BvU said:
Paging @Charles Link : do we have a unique solution here, or is there some undeterminedness left over ?

##\ ##
This one is not my area of expertise, but @Orodruin can usually give a definitive answer to something like this.

Likes bob012345
I would set [itex]u = f(z) \sin (\pi x) \cos (\pi y) [/itex] with [itex]f(0) = 1[/itex] and [itex]f(1) = 0[/itex]. Then [tex]
f'' + (k^2- 2\pi^2 )f = 0[/tex] and we will have sinusoidal dependence if [itex]k^2 > 2\pi^2[/itex] and exponential dependence if [itex]k^2 < 2\pi^2[/itex]. If [itex]k^2 = 2\pi^2[/itex] then we have [itex]f(z) = 1 - z[/itex]. Technically we do not have a unique solution, because no boundary condition is given on [itex]x = 0, 1[/itex] or [itex]y = 0, 1[/itex].

The general method here would be to choose [itex]{k_x}_n[/itex] and [itex]{k_y}_m[/itex] to satisfy the boundary conditions, and for each combination of [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] we solve [tex]
f_{nm}'' + (k^2 - {k_x}^2_n - {k_y}^2_m)f_{nm} = 0[/tex] subject to [itex]f_{nm}(0) = 1[/itex] and [itex]f_{nm}(1) = 0[/itex].

Last edited:
pasmith said:
I would set [itex]u = f(z) \sin (\pi x) \cos (\pi y) [/itex] with [itex]f(0) = 1[/itex] and [itex]f(1) = 0[/itex]. Then [tex]
f'' + (k^2- 2\pi^2 )f = 0[/tex] and we will have sinusoidal dependence if [itex]k^2 > 2\pi^2[/itex] and exponential dependence if [itex]k^2 < 2\pi^2[/itex]. If [itex]k^2 = 2\pi^2[/itex] then we have [itex]f(z) = 1 - z[/itex]. Technically we do not have a unique solution, because no boundary condition is given on [itex]x = 0, 1[/itex] or [itex]y = 0, 1[/itex].

The general method here would be to choose [itex]{k_x}_n[/itex] and [itex]{k_y}_m[/itex] to satisfy the boundary conditions, and for each combination of [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] we solve [tex]
f_{nm}'' + (k^2 - {k_x}^2_n - {k_y}^2_m)f_{nm} = 0[/tex] subject to [itex]f_{nm}(0) = 1[/itex] and [itex]f_{nm}(1) = 0[/itex].
Remember that ##f(z)## must be of the form $$f(z)=A_zsin(k_z z) + B_zcos(k_z z)$$ because it must be a solution of the separated Helmholtz equation ##\nabla^2_z u_z+ k_z^2 u_z=0##.

However, interestingly, one of our previous solutions above was $$u_z=- \frac{\cos(k_z)}{\sin(k_z)}\sin(k_z z) + \cos(k_z z)$$ which for small ##k_z## approximates as $$f(z) ≈ 1 - \frac{1 }{ k_z } k_z z = 1 - z$$

What is the Helmholtz Equation in Cartesian Coordinates?

The Helmholtz Equation in Cartesian Coordinates is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in three-dimensional space. It is named after the German physicist Hermann von Helmholtz.

What are the variables in the Helmholtz Equation in Cartesian Coordinates?

The variables in the Helmholtz Equation in Cartesian Coordinates are the position coordinates x, y, and z, and the wave function u(x,y,z).

What is the physical significance of the Helmholtz Equation in Cartesian Coordinates?

The Helmholtz Equation in Cartesian Coordinates is used to model various physical phenomena, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and heat transfer. It is also used in fields such as acoustics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics.

What are the boundary conditions for the Helmholtz Equation in Cartesian Coordinates?

The boundary conditions for the Helmholtz Equation in Cartesian Coordinates depend on the specific problem being solved. However, they typically include specifying the behavior of the wave function at the boundaries of the system, such as the values of u(x,y,z) or its derivatives.

How is the Helmholtz Equation in Cartesian Coordinates solved?

The Helmholtz Equation in Cartesian Coordinates is typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods involve discretizing the equation and solving it iteratively to obtain a numerical solution.