HELP.anyone know how to make dilatant?

• Thread starter dilatant
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

HELP........anyone know how to make dilatant?

I am looking for someone that is capable to produce a chemical called "dilatant"

I got my own set of the formula to make dialtant but I need a chemist to help me out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

I believe one wants to make a 'dilatant' compound, along the lines of what Dow Corning has made, a version of which became known as Silly Putty.

http://www.statease.com/playputty.html [Broken]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silly_Putty

Last edited by a moderator:
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member

"Dilatant" appears to be just an adjective being used as a noun. Dilatancy is a rheological property. A fluid which increases viscosity as shear is increased is called "dilatant" (an adjective, not a noun). A good example of a dilatant fluid is cornstarch dispersion in water (I do not know at what concentrations).

Borek
Mentor

Dilettante?

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Beach sand as well (at least along the Gulf coast in Texas).

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member

Beach sand as well (at least along the Gulf coast in Texas).
maybe misunderstood from wikipedia? Quote from the article:
At low velocities, the liquid acts as a lubricant, and the dilatant flows easily. At higher velocities, the liquid is unable to fill the gaps created between particles, and friction greatly increases, causing an increase in viscosity
,... and then the "cornstarch" example is given.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

No. You aren't misunderstanding Wiki. At low or slow velocity, a dilatent material (usually a suspension) will have a lower viscosity than at high velocity. The beach sand can be handled quickly and form a ball which then melts away when you stop handling it. It is actually a wonderful example that almost everyone who has made mudpies understands.

I used to run the rheology equipment in our Division... actually I set up the laboratory and trained all of the operators. I've heard of it.....

chemisttree is right!!

Astronuc..... Thank you for all the geart information and the links!!!

I just wonder what is the different between D3O ( www.d3o.com/) and dilatant compound?? Is there any commercial formula for this product??