1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help applying summation convention to tensors(generalised Hooke's law)

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1

K29

I understand the simplest application of the summation convention.

[itex]x_{i}y_{i}[/itex]

I create a sum of terms such that in each term the subscripts are the same i.e.
    [itex]x_{1}y_{1}+x_{2}y_{2}+x_{3}y_{3}+...[/itex]

But now when I look at understanding summation convention applied to the generalised Hooke's law:

[itex]\tau _{ik}=C_{ikrs}E_{rs}[/itex]

I'm a bit unsure what this means. I understand that C is a tensor with 81 components and that by applying the summation convention I should get linear combinations for every [itex]\tau[/itex] component (I think). But as for applying summation convention to see what exactly those sums look like I'm unsure.

The statement below doesn't seem to help my understanding either

"[itex]\tau _{ik}[/itex] is a linear combination of all strain components [itex]E_{ik}[/itex]"

Any assistance would be appreciated.

3. The attempt at a solution

I could hazard I guess and say I only sum when r or s equals i or k, and when r=s and i=k. Still unsure if that is correct though.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From your statement about C_ikrs having 81 components, I am assuming that each index ranges over 3 possible values i.e. i = {1,2,3}, and likewise for k, r and s. since only repeated indices are summed over, this means that i and k are not summed over, and you actually have nine different equations represented here, one for each component of tau. So just cycle through all the components of tau (ie all possible values of i and k ):

$$\tau_{11} = C_{1111}E_{11} + C_{1112}E_{12} + C_{1113}E_{13} + C_{1121}E_{21} + C_{1122}E_{22} + C_{1123}E_{23} + C_{1131}E_{31} + C_{1132}E_{32} + C_{1133}E_{33}$$

And that's just ONE of the nine equations. You still have to do the same for tau_12, tau_13, tau_21 et cetera.

4. Sep 29, 2012 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it helps, the NON shorthand way of writing your tensor expression would have been: $$ \tau_{ik} = \sum_{r=1}^3\sum_{s=1}^3 C_{ikrs}E_{rs}$$

5. Sep 29, 2012 #4

K29

Thank you for the help. Both replies helped me understand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook