Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding elastic tensor matrix intuitively

1. Oct 12, 2016 #1
    Hi, I know the generalized hookes law between stress and strain is given by the elastic tensor. This matrix has 81 constants which are reduced to 9 in the isotropic case. Can someone please help me to understand intuitively how this reduction in the elastic tensor takes place and why some of the components are zero? also can someone please help me to understand the einstein summation used in the naming of the elastic tensor?

Thankyou for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I recommend you take a look at the book Physical Properties of Crystals: Their Representation by Tensors and Matrices by J.F. Nye. This is one of the better books out there to give a complete understanding of the subject.

4. Oct 18, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your reply.. Do you have suggestions for any other books?

5. Oct 18, 2016 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The book by Nye is one of the better ones that is somewhat well-known, but not as well as it should be, in my opinion. For your topic of interest, it really does a good job. Most other physics texts for the various topics are fairly well-known.

6. Oct 18, 2016 #5

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I concur; Nye says it all. There's a detailed description of how crystal symmetry forces many of the indices to be zero or identical.

Also, I think you mean 2 independent parameters for the isotropic case. There are 9 independent parameters for the orthotropic case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted