Help artist with magnetic levitation

In summary: Earnshaw%27s_theoremIn summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of creating a levitating element using magnets and the concept of Earnshaw's Theorem. The initial idea was to have magnets arranged in a certain way to create a stable levitation, but it was pointed out that this is not possible without some sort of active feedback. Different suggestions were given, such as using a plastic plate or adding constraint forces between different parts of the object, but ultimately it was concluded that there is no configuration of permanent magnets that can achieve this. The conversation also touched upon the use of neodymium magnets and the suggestion to try using a small model to test the concept. It was also
dmhmaestro
Hello all!

Im a young sculptor from croatia on my last year of sculpting... I am planning in making this element that will levitate and have a rough blueprint for you to tell me would it roughly work... the setup is ready for experimenting but the basic physics arent clear to me... did i imagine it right. So here is the drawing i made

2cgdke8.jpg

2aimosi.jpg

So bottom row will be fixed all on one plate and magnets above will also be connected by element

all magnets are repelling against each other, and are inserted so they are sandwiched in between... they wouldn't move because configuration of the magnets... the one set of three wouldn't allow for x movements and the other sets wouldn't allow y movements... I think u understand by now...

What do u think??

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no arrangement of magnets that will do this without some sort of active feedback.

But isn't the principle same as this toy

Do u have any suggestions how could i achieve such levitation otherwise... it could include power device

I found this quote...

Earnshaw's theorem doesn't apply here. What you've done is provide a mechanical constraint, namely the plastic that holds the magnets in position. This is analogous to having a hollow cylindrical tube and dropping two cylindrical magnets into it with opposite orientation. Obviously the top one will levitate. It "wants" to flip over, but can't because of the external mechanical constraint of the plastic. Your magnets "want" to flip over, but can't because of the external mechanical constraint of the plastic.

The video shows a magnet being stabilized by a plastic plate. The plate is providing the force that keeps the magnet from sliding off in that direction.

In your setup, you have rigid constraints between your magnets, but there is nothing rigid constraining the motion between the top half and bottom half. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to be stable this way.

I couldn't find a written proof for Earnshaw's theorem for extended objects, but I think it follows from linearity of the gradient function. So, if you add together two divergenceless functions, then the result is also divergenceless. The force of an extended object is the sum of external forces on each part of the object. (That's because the internal constraint forces between parts of the object cancel out over the whole object.) So, the whole thing feels a net force from a sum of many divergenceless fields. So, to avoid Earnshaw, you need a constraint force between parts of different objects.

Khashishi said:
The video shows a magnet being stabilized by a plastic plate. The plate is providing the force that keeps the magnet from sliding off in that direction.

In your setup, you have rigid constraints between your magnets, but there is nothing rigid constraining the motion between the top half and bottom half. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to be stable this way.

I couldn't find a written proof for Earnshaw's theorem for extended objects, but I think it follows from linearity of the gradient function. So, if you add together two divergenceless functions, then the result is also divergenceless. The force of an extended object is the sum of external forces on each part of the object. (That's because the internal constraint forces between parts of the object cancel out over the whole object.) So, the whole thing feels a net force from a sum of many divergenceless fields. So, to avoid Earnshaw, you need a constraint force between parts of different objects.
My setup is same as the video, but xy movement is constrained with magnets in ring formation that are x y positioned and x is keeping y steady and vice versa... Maybe the hard part is finding the sweet spot vertically... the cradle in magnets... but it would be possible right? if i put the right weight of the top object to ratio of magnet power.

To your last sentence, as i don't understand much of ur saying because I am artist not physics... how would one constrain force between parts of different objects if u can explain. how can i make something like this with or without electricity

dmhmaestro said:
but it would be possible right?

The answer is still no.

dmhmaestro said:
how would one constrain force between parts of different objects
A couple ideas come to mind. Either one may work:
1) Attach two posts to the bottom plate that go thru slightly oversized holes in the top plate.
2) Hold them together with two pieces of string.

dmhmaestro said:
Im planning in making this element that will levitate and have a rough blueprint for you to tell me would it roughly work... the setup is ready for experimenting but the basic physics arent clear to me...
If those are ordinary bar magnets where the flat ends are the pole faces then I think it would be difficult to get it stable.

But you might succeed if you can instead have the field emerging outwards all the way along a side of each bar. The easiest way would be to glue a string of small neodymium disc magnets flat side uppermost where you show each bar magnet (or glue the neodymiums in a line along the inside of a length of painted plastic tubing if you want it to appear as though each is an ordinary bar magnet).

Make a small model and try it. You can buy tiny neodymium 'buttons' by the dozen.

NascentOxygen said:
But you might succeed if you can instead have the field emerging outwards all the way along a side of each bar.

Nope. There is no configuration of permanent magnets that will do this. See message #3.

Look at his floating magnetic sculpture!

Vanadium 50 said:
Nope. There is no configuration of permanent magnets that will do this. See message #3.

CWatters said:

See the line in the wikipedia link immediately before "Static_stability":
"In some cases the lifting force is provided by magnetic levitation, but stability is provided by a mechanical support bearing little load. This is termed pseudo-levitation."

Same as suggested in post #9 here.

1. How does magnetic levitation work for artists?

Magnetic levitation, also known as maglev, works by using the forces of magnetism to lift and suspend an object in the air. In the case of artists, this technique is often used to create floating sculptures or interactive installations.

2. What materials are needed for magnetic levitation?

To create a magnetic levitation piece, artists typically need strong magnets, a non-magnetic base, and a power source. Some artists also use additional materials such as conductive wire or metal pieces to enhance the visual effect.

3. How do you control the height of a magnetically levitating object?

The height of a magnetically levitating object can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the magnets or changing the distance between the magnets and the base. Some artists also use sensors and computer programs to precisely control the height and movement of the object.

4. Is magnetic levitation safe for the environment?

Yes, magnetic levitation is generally considered safe for the environment as it does not produce any emissions or waste. However, the materials used in the magnets may have environmental impacts if not disposed of properly.

5. Can magnetic levitation be used for practical purposes?

While magnetic levitation is primarily used for artistic purposes, it has also been explored for practical applications such as transportation systems. However, there are still many technical and safety challenges that need to be addressed before it can be widely implemented in practical settings.