Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help clarifying a question regarding (i think) cyclic groups

1. Feb 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be a group with a finite number of elements. Show that for any a in G, there exists an n in Z+ such that an=e.

2. Relevant equations
    a hint is given: consider e, a, a2,...am, where m is the number of elements in G, and use the cancellation laws.

3. The attempt at a solution
    so part of the trouble i'm having (i'm guessing the most important part), is figuring out what they're asking. is the number n i'm looking for a number that when any a in G is raised to, it gives the identity? i.e. (i'm just picking random letters) an= e and bn=e when a and b are not equal but n is the same in both? i was working on this question for a while thinking it to mean that a particular ap might have n0 while aq might have n1 to take it to e (identity).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2
    and then another problem in the same set as the previous one, that may hinge on the same language:
    show that if G is a finite group with identity e and with an even number of elements, then there is a not equal to e such that a*a=e.
    does this mean every element in G is its own inverse, or just one particular element? not really sure where i'd begin either way, but just to point me in the right direction.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook