1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is every Subgroup of a Cyclic Group itself Cyclic?

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Are all subgroups of a cyclic group cyclic themselves?

2. Relevant equations

G being cyclic means there exists an element g in G such that <g>=G, meaning we can obtain the whole group G by raising g to powers.

3. The attempt at a solution

Let's look at an arbitrary subgroup H= {e, gk_1, gk_2, ... , gk_n}

We know since subgroups are closed that (gk_i)t is in H for all integers t, and for all i between 1 and n.

So unless gk_1, gk_2,... all have order 1 (which would mean H ={e}), then by the pidgeonhole principle, we have (gk_i)x = (gk_j)y
    for some i,j and some 0<x<ord(gk_i), 0<y<ord(gk_2).

WLOG let's say y<x. Then x=yq+r. This implies (gk_i)r=(gk_j).

... I'm stuck :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: if ##H## is a subgroup of ##G##, then of course all of its elements are of the form ##g^k##. Consider the element of ##H## with the smallest positive exponent. Can you show that it generates ##H##?

4. Mar 20, 2013 #3
    Assume BWOC that g^k doesn't generate H. Then there is an element g^t in H such that k doesn't divide t. But that means t=kq+r where r<k. Which means g^r is in the H but that contradicts k being the smallest power of g in H.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted