1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Conserv. of Energy Momentum is Driving Me Crazy

1. Oct 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 100 g granite cube slides down a 35 degree frictionless ramp. At the bottom, just as it exits onto a horizontal table, it collides with a 215 g steel cube at rest.
    How high above the table should the granite cube be released to give the steel cube a speed of 200 cm/s?

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of momentum and energy equations. I don't know if there are more?

3. The attempt at a solution

For momentum: .1v1=.1v1_f+.215v2_f

For energy: .1(9.81)h=.5(.1)v1_f^2+.5(.215)v2_f^2

I know I'm supposed to solve a system of equations, but I have way too many variables right now. What am I doing wrong? What should I do next?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2
    Have you done some sketches? Can you see a way of breaking this problem down into smaller parts?
  4. Jul 12, 2010 #3

Ill tell you the path to solve this. it seems that there is a lack of given data. to overcome that you have to do the following assumption.

after the collision the granite cube and the steel cube behaves as a single unit.

from the equations of conservation of momentum find the velocity of the granite cube before the collision.

then apply v^2=u^2+2as along the ramp. here v is the velocity of the granite cube before the collision, u=0. s is the distance traveled by the granite cube along the ramp.
    to find a apply F=ma along the ramp.

finally s*sin35=the height you want

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?