Help converting triangular to polar

• Thread starter dare2dream
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary, the equation is (rcos theta)^2 + 4(rsin theta)^2 = 4. You can simplify the equation by using sin^2(x)+cos^2(x) from before.
dare2dream

Homework Statement

Find an equivalent equation in polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

x^2 + 4y^2 = 4

Anyone know how to do this? I don't remember how when it's an equation...=S

My best guess is (rcos theta)^2 + 4(rsin theta)^2 = 4...but that's as far as I can get.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
how do you work out the x, y projections of a vector in the 1st quadrant? think about the unit circle and how you define sin and cos... you should be able to work out the rules that relate r and [tex]\theta[/tex] to x and y.

I know that r^2 = x^2 + y^2 but I don't know how to use that because of the 4 in the equation. I've thought about this problem for a week and this is as far as I've gotten. -.- (This is an equation off a take-home test we received to do over spring break.)

So r^2 = x^2 + y^2, x = rcos (theta), y = rsin (theta), and tan theta = y/x

However, knowing these, I still don't get how to figure out the problem...

Last edited:
My best guess is (rcos theta)^2 + 4(rsin theta)^2 = 4...but that's as far as I can get.

you know the answer, so all you need is rearrange (if you want) and get r on one side while the rest on the other... I don't understand your dilemma

Okay...well I don't know how to do that..>.>

You have this (rcos theta)^2 + 4(rsin theta)^2 = 4. So expand it: [tex]r^2\cos^2\theta+4r^2\sin^2\theta=4[/tex].

Now, spot that both terms on the left contain r2, so factor this out. What do you obtain on the left hand side? Is there any way you can think of simplifying this expression you obtain?

So then you get r^2 (cos^2 theta + 4 sin^2 theta) = 4

I don't know how to simplify that.

Well, I presume you know that sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1. Can you use this here?

Yeah, I remember that, but I don't know what to do with the 4 then.

4sin^2(x)=sin^2(x)+3sin^2(x)

so r^2 (1 + 3sin^2 theta) = 4?

What is the formula for converting a point from triangular to polar coordinates?

The formula for converting a point from triangular coordinates (x, y) to polar coordinates (r, θ) is:
r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y / x)

Why would I need to convert from triangular to polar coordinates?

Converting from triangular to polar coordinates is useful when working with circular or rotational systems, such as in physics or engineering. It can also be helpful in simplifying mathematical equations.

How do I convert a negative point from triangular to polar coordinates?

To convert a negative point, simply follow the same steps as converting a positive point, but keep in mind that the angle θ will be in the appropriate quadrant. For example, if the point (-2, -2) is in the third quadrant, the angle θ would be -135°.

Is there a specific order for converting coordinates from triangular to polar?

Yes, there is a specific order for converting coordinates. First find the distance r from the origin to the point, then find the angle θ from the positive x-axis to the line connecting the origin and the point. It is important to follow this order to ensure accuracy in the conversion.

Can I convert from polar to triangular coordinates?

Yes, you can convert from polar to triangular coordinates using the following formulas:
x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ). Simply plug in the values for r and θ and you will get the corresponding x and y coordinates in triangular form.