1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting standard to polar form

1. Apr 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    you are given the standard form z = 3 - 3i

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    so to convert this to polar form, i know that ##r = 3√2## but how do i find theta here? There are so many mixed answers it seems online that I can't tell... i know that ##(3,-3)## is in the last quadrant and that ##tan^-1(-3/3) = -45##.

But how can I do this all without a calculator first of all? I have a final where no calculators are allowed. Some sites are telling me that theta is just -45 or -pi/4 here. Others are telling me that its 360 - (-45) or 360 + -45.
    What the heck is the right answer???

Also, just for my understanding here. say I have a different standard form where ##z=-8i## and I want to find its cubed roots. Would theta be 270 here? or ##3pi/2##? Because ##tan^-1(-8/0)## is undefined.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2017 #2
    Hi Arnoldjavs3:

What is the difference between the two answers: (a) -45, and (b) 360-45=315.

BTW: I don't know what your teacher requires, but in general it is better to include a symbol like "o" or "deg" for an angle using degrees as a unit rather than omit it.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Apr 14, 2017 #3
    Oh... right. I didn't know how to add the degree symbol with latex. I feel stupid now.

How about the degree for ##z=-8i##? Am I right to think that it is 270o?

5. Apr 14, 2017 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw a line from the origin to ##(3,-3)##. Label it ##r##. Then draw an arc counterclockwise from the positive ##x## axis to ##r##. That arc subtends the angle you want. Don't use any inverse trig formula, just look at it. You should see that it is ##180^\circ + 45^\circ## or ##\pi +\frac \pi 4 =\frac{5
    \pi} 4##. Just draw a quick picture for this kind of problem.
    [Edit, corrected] As Mark44 points out in post #6, I meant
    ##270^\circ + 45^\circ## or ##\frac{3\pi} 2 +\frac \pi 4 =\frac{7
    \pi} 4##.
    Again, don't use inverse trig functions here. You want$$
    r^3e^{i3\theta} = 8e^{\frac {3\pi i} 2}$$ So ##r=2## and ##3\theta = \frac {3\pi} 2 + 2n\pi##.

6. Apr 14, 2017 #5
    Hi Arnoldjavs3:

What do you think the answer is?

BTW: How to represent the value of an angle in the third or fourth quadrant is an arbitrary convention. The two choices are
    (a) 180 < θ < 360, or
    (b) 0 > θ > - 180.
    You might want to notice which convention your teacher usually uses, and do the same.

Another BTW re
    There are many useful symbols available by selecting "∑" on the formatting option bar.

Regards,
    Buzz

7. Apr 14, 2017 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

@LCKurtz, I'm sure you really mean ##270^\circ + 45^\circ## or ##\frac {3\pi} 2 + \frac \pi 4 = \frac{7\pi} 4##.

8. Apr 14, 2017 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, of course. For some reason I copied his point as ##(-3,-3)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted