1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help describing a region in polar coordinates

1. Apr 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If (r, θ) are the polar coordinates of a point then describe the region defined by the restrictions
    -1 < r < 0, π/2 < θ < 3π/2

2. Relevant equations
    No clue

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried drawing the curve in a polar grid by starting at π/2 and finishing at 3π/2. I was careful to draw it according to the negative values of r. I ended up getting a shape that looked like half of a heart. So my answer was that it was a cardioid.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,

Very unusual definition of polar coordinates (negative distance ? ?:) )
    Strange. Can you post it ?

4. Apr 22, 2017 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The r coordinate can be negative. For example, ##(2, 5\pi/4)## and ##(-2, \pi/4)## identify the same location.

No, that isn't right. The shape you get should be half a circular disk.

@Nidum, in answer to the question you posted, but deleted, yes, that is what is meant.

5. Apr 22, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here it is again :

pi chart old.jpg

I think though that using ( r , theta + pi ) would be preferable to using ( - r , theta ) for the coordinates . It's difficult to visualise what - r means in polar coordinates .

6. Apr 22, 2017 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

pi chart.jpg

7. Apr 22, 2017 #6

Mark44

It's really not that difficult to visualize. The ray in the first quadrant has r > 0. For a negative r with theta being the same, just go out the opposite direction as r is in. This works the same way as it does for vectors, where u and -u point in opposite directions.

8. Apr 22, 2017 #7
    With that negative ##r##, I don't how you will plot the curve easily since most graphing calculator assume r to be positive.

Also it is impossible to get -ve ##r## from cartesian coordinates since ##\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}= r##.

9. Apr 22, 2017 #8

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No calculator needed . In fact no calculation needed .

Once you work out what is actually meant by the problem statement you can draw the required shape using simple straight lines and arcs .

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  10. Apr 22, 2017 #9

Mark44

But if the relationship is instead ##r^2 = x^2 + y^2##, then you can get negative values of r.

From wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_coordinate_system:
    Emphasis added

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted