Help describing a region in polar coordinates

In summary, the author attempted to solve a problem in polar coordinates by drawing a curve and finding the cardioid shape. However, because r can be negative, the author ran into difficulties. Additionally, because the coordinates are in the Cartesian plane, it is not possible to get negative values for r.
BillyC

Homework Statement

If (r, θ) are the polar coordinates of a point then describe the region defined by the restrictions
-1 < r < 0, π/2 < θ < 3π/2

Homework Equations

No clue

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing the curve in a polar grid by starting at π/2 and finishing at 3π/2. I was careful to draw it according to the negative values of r. I ended up getting a shape that looked like half of a heart. So my answer was that it was a cardioid.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Very unusual definition of polar coordinates (negative distance ? ?:) )
BillyC said:
looked like half of a heart
Strange. Can you post it ?

BvU said:
Hi,

Very unusual definition of polar coordinates (negative distance ? ?:) )
Strange. Can you post it ?
The r coordinate can be negative. For example, ##(2, 5\pi/4)## and ##(-2, \pi/4)## identify the same location.

BillyC said:
I ended up getting a shape that looked like half of a heart. So my answer was that it was a cardioid.
No, that isn't right. The shape you get should be half a circular disk.

@Nidum, in answer to the question you posted, but deleted, yes, that is what is meant.

Here it is again :

pi chart old.jpg

I think though that using ( r , theta + pi ) would be preferable to using ( - r , theta ) for the coordinates . It's difficult to visualise what - r means in polar coordinates .

pi chart.jpg

Nidum said:
Here it is again :

View attachment 196254

I think though that using ( r , theta + pi ) would be preferable to using ( - r , theta ) for the coordinates . It's difficult to visualise what - r means in polar coordinates .
It's really not that difficult to visualize. The ray in the first quadrant has r > 0. For a negative r with theta being the same, just go out the opposite direction as r is in. This works the same way as it does for vectors, where u and -u point in opposite directions.

BillyC said:

Homework Statement

If (r, θ) are the polar coordinates of a point then describe the region defined by the restrictions
-1 < r < 0, π/2 < θ < 3π/2

Homework Equations

No clue

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing the curve in a polar grid by starting at π/2 and finishing at 3π/2. I was careful to draw it according to the negative values of r. I ended up getting a shape that looked like half of a heart. So my answer was that it was a cardioid.

With that negative ##r##, I don't how you will plot the curve easily since most graphing calculator assume r to be positive.

Also it is impossible to get -ve ##r## from cartesian coordinates since ##\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}= r##.

No calculator needed . In fact no calculation needed .

Once you work out what is actually meant by the problem statement you can draw the required shape using simple straight lines and arcs .

Last edited:
Buffu said:
With that negative ##r##, I don't how you will plot the curve easily since most graphing calculator assume r to be positive.

Also it is impossible to get -ve ##r## from cartesian coordinates since ##\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}= r##.
But if the relationship is instead ##r^2 = x^2 + y^2##, then you can get negative values of r.

From wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_coordinate_system:
Emphasis added
Adding any number of full turns (360°) to the angular coordinate does not change the corresponding direction. Also, a negative radial coordinate is best interpreted as the corresponding positive distance measured in the opposite direction. Therefore, the same point can be expressed with an infinite number of different polar coordinates (r, ϕ ± n×360°) or (−r, ϕ ± (2n + 1)180°), where n is any integer. Moreover, the pole itself can be expressed as (0, ϕ) for any angle ϕ.

Where a unique representation is needed for any point, it is usual to limit r to non-negative numbers (r ≥ 0) and ϕ to the interval [0, 360°) or (−180°, 180°] (in radians, [0, 2π) or (−π, π]). One must also choose a unique azimuth for the pole, e.g., ϕ = 0.

Likes Buffu and BvU

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way to describe a point in a two-dimensional space using a distance from a fixed point and an angle from a fixed direction. They are often used in mathematics and science, particularly for describing circular or curved objects.

2. How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), you can use the equations r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x), where r represents the distance from the origin and θ represents the angle from the positive x-axis.

3. What is the purpose of using polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are useful for describing objects or phenomena that have a circular or rotational symmetry. They can simplify mathematical equations and make it easier to visualize and analyze certain scenarios, such as the motion of planets or the flow of fluids.

4. How do you describe a region in polar coordinates?

To describe a region in polar coordinates, you can use inequalities to specify the boundaries of the region. For example, r ≤ 3 would represent all points within or on a circle with a radius of 3, while θ > π/2 would represent all points above the positive x-axis.

5. What are some real-world applications of polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates have many practical applications, including navigation and mapping systems, radar and sonar technology, and antenna design. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy for analyzing and solving problems involving circular or rotational motion.