Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Deriving formula for Einstein Radius

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    I have been trying to show that the Einstein ring radius R_e = 2[GMx(L-x)/(Lc^2)]^1/2
    to no avail. can someone who knows this show me, or at least point out the direction. I have a strong hunch that i'll have to use the light bending formula for small angles 
    delta_phi = 4GM/(bc^2), and geometry.

The Einstein radius is the radius of the ring image formed when a bright source is exactly behind a spherically symmetric lens mass. L is the distance to the source, and x is the distance to the lens mass.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The formula on this page can be derived using the light bending formula for small angles. Also, assume Euclidean geometry and use [itex]\theta \doteq \sin\theta \doteq \tan\theta[/itex]. Click on the diagram, and take [itex]\theta_S = 0[/itex], since, for an Einstein ring, the source, lens, and observer have to be lined up.

If you need more help, just ask.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?